Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
favorite cutting mat >

favorite cutting mat

favorite cutting mat

Old 09-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Banned

I have 2 of these cutting mats. The sizes I bought are 9x12 & 18x24.
Really love them.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The last one I ordered was this pink/blue one. I like it because it's reversible but you have to be aware that the measurements are 23x35, not 24x36. It actually fits on my table better than the true 24x36. I can usually see my fabrics against the pink better than against the green on my other mats, and if not then I can turn it over and use the blue side. I figure it should last twice as long as non-reversible mats, which makes it a good buy. https://www.amazon.com/US-Art-Supply...t+self+healing
Old 09-11-2016, 02:23 PM

I replaced my mat last year with a Martelli. This mat is holding up well with no signs of wear but I have trouble with the color of the lines. They alternate blue and black and are so confusing. I am one of those that cuts from mat measurements, I know some of you think that is a big no-no and it makes gutting very difficult.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:42 PM

Sassysews2, Quilttiger is right, these PVC mats are the best ever. I've had so many different mats, and by far this one is the best, well worth the extra money. Blades last a whole lot longer too. The folks are very helpful if you ever have a problem with the mat too.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:08 AM
mac

I have quite a few of the green mats that I bought over the years when the went on sale 60% off. One of my mats I dated and put my name on it. The date is 1997. I have never had trouble with my mats, except for the time I left one in the car and forgot about it. To save it, I took a piece of plywood (the size of the area that wasn't warped) and on one side I put two pieces of warm and natural batting and a piece of heavy duty cotton to cover it and glued the cotton down. On the other side of the board I glued the piece of cutting board I cut out. I have had that board for over 20 years and I take it to sewing classes. It fits nicely into my sewing bag and is really useful and doesn't take up a lot of space.

So that I would never have to worry about a cutting mat warping ever again, I bought two pieces of 1/4" plywood and had it cut down to the size of my cutting mat. Now I sandwich the cutting mat in between the two pieces of plywood and use the extra large black binder clips (with the silver flip clippies) and clip them around the plywood. I usually use 6 of them, two on the long sides and one on each of the short sides of the plywood. I have had my cutting mats like this ever since and have left them in the car on really hot days (over 100 degrees) and my mats have never warped. This is an easy, cheap solution to keep your cutting mats safe.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 AM

What cleaning spray do you use to clean your mat? I would like to try this on one of my old mats. TIA

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I have the Olfa green one and have been very pleased with it. I have to use the plain side. I use rulers for my measuring and my ADD brain can't handle two sets of lines and numbers. When it seemed a little rough, I just washed it with a cloth and spray cleaner and it was smooth again. I have the gray Fiskars here and at church. I do not care for them. The same blade is much harder to use on either one of them than on the OLfa.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:41 AM

I just purchased a mat from a quilt show, its QuiltersSelect Alex Anderson...a bit thicker just cut on it I think its going to be a good investment...have always used the green Olfa ones....
Old 09-26-2016, 02:57 PM

I prefer the green Olfa mats only. I made the mistake of buying a Fiskars mat and it smelled horrible. It ended up in the garage, and eventually the trash because the smell was so bad. My current mat is at least 10 years old and shows no wear.