Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Free Motion Quilting Class from Craftsy, or another Source >

Favorite Free Motion Quilting Class from Craftsy, or another Source

Favorite Free Motion Quilting Class from Craftsy, or another Source

Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM

I took both of Angela Walter's classes and loved them - I do have a longarm but really didn't feel confident with it until I took her classes and read her book - I love her teaching style and would recommend her classes for everyone.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I'd really like to see a class where the instructor actually quilts a bed size quilt on a regular domestic sewing machine. I think that would help me most.
Craftsy has one of those. It is called quilting big projects on a small machine.

I really like Wendy Butler Berns pictorial quilting class, but thought the art quilt class was a waste. I recently got the beyond log cabin art quilt class (can't recall the instructor) and it was terrible. I loved stupendous stitching and painted quilt class.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM

I am taking beyond basics by Ann Peterson and I like it
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM

I have taken quite a few of the classes. I enjoyed some more than others, Stupendous Stiching and CollAge art quilts were wonderful. Even a class I did not feel was the same general good quality, Pieced Hexies, I still came away with the feeling I saw a different way of working with them. I have recommended the Free Sewing 911 to beginning sewers for the troubleshooting section. I don't consider myself a modern quilter, but I found the classes Improvisational Piecing interesting. I have taken classes that are not in my comfort zone, but wanted to broaden my quilting knowledge even though I doubt I will make the project.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
I am generally not a negative person but IMHO, the Wendy butler burns class was a complete waste of money. I hated it. I have not even finished it. I am generally not critical of another's FMQ skills but if I am paying to learn, I think the teachers FMQ skills should be much better. I also don't think very much planning went into her class. She is verbose unnecessarily fix.

one of the great things about Craftsy is that they will refund your $$ - no questions asked.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 AM

I took Wendy Butler Burns class Machine Quilting; Free Motion and More. It was not what I thought it would be. I couldn't even finish it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM

I took Beyond Basic Machine Quilting by Ann Peterson and really loved it. I learned so many new tips and tricks. She has a very nice demeanor and takes her time explaining things. She talks about thread, basting, where to start your stitching on a sandwiched quilt (which I had never seen before - she starts on the outside and works her way in) - in addition to quilting. She does a sampler - which I would never do - but it was well worth watching her technique. Prior to taking the class I was just a stippler - the class has encouraged me to try new designs, etc. and they haven't turned out half bad. Practice is the key. Anyway, awesome class! You won't be disappointed!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

So far I have not been too crazy about Wendy Butler Burns either - she likes to hear herself talk. Less talk, more instruction would be preferable but I took others that were great. Ann Peterson, Leah Day, and some others I can't recall the names right now.