Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite paper piecing paper/foundation >

Favorite paper piecing paper/foundation

Favorite paper piecing paper/foundation

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

I lucked into a great buy on vellum paper today with the intentions of using it to print my quilting designs on and then machine quilt over the paper. I had heard/seen that the vellum holds up really well for this.

I have since found out that some people use the vellum for paper piecing!
I am not sure I will like it for PPing, but am willing to try it!

I have used many papers for PPing in the past, my favorites being the hamburger paper from the rest. supply store, and newsprint.
The hamburger wraps are 14" sqs, and I love to use them for string piecing scraps on, the newsprint is standard paper size, and tears off great! It is also really cheap when you can find it!

For foundation piecing I use the used dryer sheets I get neighbors to save for me, and last year lucked out during a cold snap, went to Lowe's and they were throwing out the frost cloth they had used the night before..throwing it out...as in rolling it up and tossing into a huge refrigerator box to go to the dump!
Being the recycler I am, I asked if I could have it...what I don't use as covers in my garden I cut into 13" blocks and now use that for string piecing. I donated 1,000 of those cut pieces to a local charity to use for their foundation and they just loved it!

I also use a product called FUn-da-tion that is heavier than paper and makes the best book marks, ornaments, lapel pins, etc, when I want to do mini work and have it remain stable!

I am curious as to what other papers/foundations people use.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM

i use vellum for paper piecing and after trying so many types of paper its the only thing i would use for PPing.

i have never used it for quilting motifs and i don't think i would because it doesn't dissolve in water and if any little bits remain you'd have to pull them out by hand.

i have used vellum to make quilting stencils and then i just use pounce to mark the design.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i use vellum for paper piecing and after trying so many types of paper its the only thing i would use for PPing.

i have never used it for quilting motifs and i don't think i would because it doesn't dissolve in water and if any little bits remain you'd have to pull them out by hand.

i have used vellum to make quilting stencils and then i just use pounce to mark the design.
it works great for quilting as it leaves NO tiny bits, I use a microtex needle and 50wt thread, so it is a nice clean remove!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the information.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
+1

And its pros outweigh the only 2 cons I've found - it ain't free, and it doesn't magically disappear at the end of a project (but it's not as bad as other papers when it comes to removing it from the blocks).
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00085.asp
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I also use a product called FUn-da-tion that is heavier than paper a
Ah, that's what it calls. I referenced it on another thread - called it something else. I used in my first pp project, and I really liked it (and not having to remove it), but it's not inexpensive in quantity.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I also use a product called FUn-da-tion that is heavier than paper a
Ah, that's what it calls. I referenced it on another thread - called it something else. I used in my first pp project, and I really liked it (and not having to remove it), but it's not inexpensive in quantity.
it is cheaper than most stabilizers, but I only use it for mini items usually 3" or less so that helps!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 AM

I use vellum if I can get it very cheap for paper piecing and quilting designs but normally it is more expensive so I use newsprint/tablet paper mostly for paper piecing and tissue paper for quilting designs.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 AM

I use newsprint for paper piecing - bought a ream of it at an art supply store rather inexpensively.