Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
favorite scissors? >

favorite scissors?

favorite scissors?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Another vote for either Kai or Gingher!

I love my big heavy chrome shiny Ginghers, they cut through a quilt sandwich like butter when I'm squaring up and for me there's also a sentimental aspect - they make me think of my grandmother's scissors and all the hours we spent cutting wool squares for her quilts when I was a kid. Mine were a bit stiff when I got them but they've "relaxed" with use and right now they're perfect for me.

I just recently got a pair of Kai serrated scissors (due to recommendations on this board!) and they're much lighter and the serrations keeps fabric from slipping, which is handy if you just need to do a quick snip and keep it nice and straight. I haven't tried cutting through a ton of layers with mine yet though so not sure how well they'll do cutting through a quilt sandwich. They seem like really nice scissors though - very comfortable in my hand and the movement of the blades is nice right from the start - tight but not too tight.

I don't have any arthritis (yet) so I like the heavy and substantial feel of the Ginghers but if your hands are starting to wear out or if you tend to do a LOT of cutting in one sitting, Kai is probably the better choice simply because they're so much lighter. Due to the serrations on the Kai blade, I don't think they can be sharpened though. My Ginghers...I imagine I will own these scissors the rest of my life since I know they can be sharpened...although after a year of pretty heavy use they're still super sharp so I think there's a good chance that I will wear out before they will!

I bought my Ginghers for half-off at Joann's with a coupon; I bought my Kai scissors from Amazon. I would replace both if they went missing; I am a big fan of having choices!

Edit to add - I don't like Fiskars fabric scissors, except for their little "snip" size scissors. I've worn out two pair of 8-inch Fiskars in less than a year - they have been retired to "household scissor" status and live in the kitchen drawer now.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Peckish do Kai scissors have rubber handles please?
Yes, they have rubber handles. Here is their website. http://www.kaiscissors.com/
Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Kai scissors hands down!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM

I have the large Ginghers which are still in the tin they came in. Also have the Gingher "stork" scissors. I have many pair of scissors and they are all kinds of brands. I have a hugh pair of scissors, about 12-14" long and they cut through anything. I have Karen Blakely's purple and green handled scissors. They are extremely sharp and serrated. I just use the fiskars 4" pair for just clipping threads while sewing. I have 2 pair of snips, don't know the name of them that I always use to rip out. They are very fine tipped and sharp. I'm always looking at scissors to find that elusive "better" pair... If they cut and you like them, hey, who cares what the name of them is anyway...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM

I have had a pair of gingers for over 30 years. Never once have I had them sharpened or damaged. They cost a little more, but well worth the price. I have also guarded them , so my husband didn't get to them. LOL
Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM

I have all sorts of cheap and expensive scissors, but my favorite that I always turn to? The $2 ones I get at Walmart. I have a pair that I've had for years and they are still as sharp as the day I bought them. I use them ONLY for fabric. Do I use my others? Sure, when I can find them. It seems I use the expensive ones, sit them down and they are lost OR the family decides they need a pair of scissors and they snatch them for whatever they want to cut. I scream at them and tell them TO NOT TOUCH MY THINGS, but my voice goes unheard. So, I just stick to my cheapo Walmart scissors and if they are taken by someone and used for something else, I'm ok. Ok, maybe not ok, but at least I'm not panicking.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my black ginghers. I have a large pair for cutting and a small pair for trimming threads. And the black ones are sooooo light.