Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Size of Square

Another question on rag quilts. What is your favorite size to make? Does it depend on which fabric (flannel or 100% cotton)? or pattern on the fabric?

I know cutting is an issue, and I also realize, sometimes it has to do with the best use of the amount of yardage.

This one is for a guy, so would you use 6 inches ? Or larger, and if larger, what size? and is your decision based on the best use of your fabric?

Thanks for any thoughts

you can use any size you want i have made many of these i usually make a 7 inch square and i use flannel material i have used cotton before but it doesnt rag as well also i sew a X thru some of my rag quilts if i dont make the center material the same size as the blocks i use a cheaper quality of flannel for the middle

i forgot to add that the bigger square you use the less " rag " you will have for the over all finished quilt so i would go 6 or 7 maybe a 8 at the most

Ya know the first quilting book I ever bought was a rag quilt book and I have yet to make one....just don't get it. Maybe I should try reading the darn book!!

they are very easy to make once you get the hang of it

reading the instuctions nice and slow does help

Blog Entries
    I always cut a 10 inch square. I use a one inch seam allowance so I end up with an 8 inch square in the end. When I make for the men I use jean squares (jean bought off the bolt, not cut from jeans) on the front and a flannel on the back.

for babies i go with a 5inch square --adults 9inch square

When I made my rag quilt I used 10 inch squares because we all signed it. I could have gone smaller but didn't look okay but I did have 1/2 seams, which seemed to help.

When I make rag quilts I usually use 6 to 8 inch blocks. I have a king sized bed, could probably use a bigger block, but the pattern I had called for 6 inch blocks.

There are lots of pictures and talk on rag quilts here on the board....go to the top and click on search ...type in rag quilts and you should get some great results :D :D :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast