Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite thread for hand piecing

Favorite thread for hand piecing

I'm brand a new quilter and I am hand piecing an Ohio Star lap quilt. I realized that I have bought 2 different kinds of thread from Joann's. the both say on the spool for quilting projects. what are the rules for purchasing thread? Thanks in advance.

I think you can use what works best for you. I've used a lot of different threads for hand piecing, including Coats and Clark, hand quilting thread, and 50 weight Aurifil. My least favorite was hand quilting thread - it was harder too pull through. I have some Presencia 3 ply 60 weight that I'm going to try next.

Janet

Thank you for the help. I have found the same problem with the hand quilting thread. I was wondering if it was just me.

I have tried all the expensive brands of hand quilting thread and keep going back to the cheap Americana hanD quilting thread that Joannes sells for 99cents!! It frays less, tangles less and breaks less...I think hard to pull through is just a normal thing when hand quilting..I have found that running my thread thru "thread Heaven" helps greatly. Also I use John James Easy glide needles..the thread, thread treatment and needles can make a big difference in ease of quilting

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is thread heaven?

Not stupid at all.I learned about it myself here. It is a thread conditioner you run your thread through. I keeps it from fraying and tangling and makes it easier to sew and thread your needle..It comes in a little blue plastic box. Joannes carries it by the needle threaders. It is usually about $3.49, and lasts forever!! I used to use bees wax to condition my thread, but this is 1000 times better.

Blog Entries
    Thread heaven is a thread conditioner. It comes in a little blue box. It should be in the notions. It aids greatly in reducing tangling when handsewing. Beeswax also works.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    I love Mettler Silk Finish (100% Cotton) thread for hand piecing, it doesn't tangle as much as other threads I have tried ( I am lazy and probably have my thread waaaay to long, but the Mettler works for me LOL)
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

For me, there's a difference in hand piecing andhand quilting. For the piecing, I would use regular thread that goes on to my machine. When I am hand quilting - i only use YLI glazed cotton thread.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I only use my sewing machine, but isn't thread labeled "hand quilting" for the actual quilting process, not piecing? Just curious.

Becca just answered my question.
    Last edited by MattieMae; 09-23-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast