Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Tips, Tricks or Tools??

Blog Entries
    I've been working on a "Quilting Basics" lesson, mostly for new quilters, but I think the lesson should have some good tips for experienced quilters, too. This is the best place I know to get meaningful answers.

What do you think new quilters want to know?

What's in your toolbox (sewing kit)? Your favorite item?

What's your favorite tip or trick for quilting?

I love teaching quilt classes, but I especially love how fearless new quilters are, and sometimes they don't need "RULES"! But I keep going, because I figure correct techniques don't hurt creativity. And no, I'm not on the Quilt Police force, I just like my points to match... :D What do you think?

I've posted my ideas in a tutorial here:
    http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cut...-tricks-tools/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I do all aspects of quilting. I love to do hand applique. Freezer paper is a must for that, as is a sharpened chop stick....It keeps me from burning my fingers. I also have many different bags to keep/carry my WIPs. I mark every piece if I am hand piecing a top. I use a clear ruler and a mechanical pencil. It maintains a sharp edge and is a finer line. I have more, if this is helpful. Send me a PM, if you want more.

Important ... measure and square as you go.
    You can't fix a problem that started ten (or more) seams ago.

saf
    thanks for sharing this link. As a newbie I may not need/follow rules but I certainly appreciate any advice I can get. Especially appreciate pictures as I am a visual person.

Glue stick. Great for putting an applique down before stitching, and perfect for "pinning" piecies - especially strip pieces. It washes out - I checked. It dries almost immediately. It doesn't gum up the needle or the machine. It stays where you put it and keeps the fabric in place.

The only time I use pins now is when I have seams that don't *quite* want to match and I need to ease one into another. I'll still use the glue stick for the rest of the piece, then use pins for easing the seam for an exact match.

Blog Entries
    My favorite "non-sewing" tool is my blue painters tape. I use it constantly to get all the little threads away from the machine, the fabric, my clothes, design wall and everywhere else those little pieces hide. Lint rollers get used up too fast, but the tape is cheap & theres lots of it. I haven't tried to use it for lining up straight stitches, but I hear on the board it is good for that, too.

I've only been sewing for a few years, but I would love to have a reference about what the difference is in thread weights, cotton vs polyester...can I use the cones of serger thread? etc. I've tried all of them & don't see much difference, but there must be a good reason for each of them. Then there's always the mystery of different needle sizes. Just a thought, but I'd certainly be interested.

Blog Entries
    thanks for working on your tutorial

Craftybear

Quote Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    I've been working on a "Quilting Basics" lesson, mostly for new quilters, but I think the lesson should have some good tips for experienced quilters, too. This is the best place I know to get meaningful answers.

What do you think new quilters want to know?

What's in your toolbox (sewing kit)? Your favorite item?

What's your favorite tip or trick for quilting?

I love teaching quilt classes, but I especially love how fearless new quilters are, and sometimes they don't need "RULES"! But I keep going, because I figure correct techniques don't hurt creativity. And no, I'm not on the Quilt Police force, I just like my points to match... :D What do you think?

I've posted my ideas in a tutorial here:
    http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cut...-tricks-tools/

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Glue stick. Great for putting an applique down before stitching, and perfect for "pinning" piecies - especially strip pieces. It washes out - I checked. It dries almost immediately. It doesn't gum up the needle or the machine. It stays where you put it and keeps the fabric in place.

The only time I use pins now is when I have seams that don't *quite* want to match and I need to ease one into another. I'll still use the glue stick for the rest of the piece, then use pins for easing the seam for an exact match.
    Thank you for the glue stick tip. Is it any kind in partiacular?

If you do a search up top, you will find a bunch of previous threads which give lots of info to add to your list.

I've finally, after many years, started using a stiletto to help guide seams through the presser foot - especially helpful at the end of a seam when the fabric tends to shift a little bit. Now I don't sew without one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast