Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Feather weight price different

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    182

    Feather weight price different

    Can anyone tell me why prices are different on Feather weight? I know a lot has to do with the condition, but is the date that important. Or is it the scroll plate, how do I know which one is worth more than others?

  2. #2
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,775
    A lot of it is due to the fact that they're used. People can ask whatever they want for them. That doesn't mean they'll get it of course, but they can ask. It's up to the buyer to decide if the price they're asking is too high or not.

  3. #3
    Super Member PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,362
    Blog Entries
    2
    Condition (original? restored?) Case? feet/accessories? and geographic location (whatever the local market will bear).
    This is the perfect question to ask on the special vintage and antique machine thread:

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...thusiasts-f22/
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

  4. #4
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,671
    Blog Entries
    2
    I've seen excellent hardly used ones sell for under $200 and some that sell for $650. Some are found for free. I wanted a white Featherweight to use and to pass on to my granddaughter but was hesitant to go the Ebay route without trying it first. I was given one for free.
    Got fabric?

  5. #5
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,775
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I've seen excellent hardly used ones sell for under $200 and some that sell for $650. Some are found for free. I wanted a white Featherweight to use and to pass on to my granddaughter but was hesitant to go the Ebay route without trying it first. I was given one for free.

    Ahhhhhhhh, Ebay. Ebay caused the prices to drop on whole categories of collectibles and antiques. Before Ebay a local antique store had a featherweight marked at $700. I don't know if she ever sold it at that price but I know that after Ebay started to get really big a featherweight in her store would be between $200 to maybe $250 at the most.

  6. #6
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,367
    Just depends on who is selling it!

  7. #7
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,671
    Blog Entries
    2
    Even the pros go to ebay for pricing for what the market will support. An item may be appraised for one amount but the selling price is usually a lot less then then the appraised value. I rarely go by the appraised value, it doesn't mean much except for insurance purposes.
    Got fabric?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    663
    Don't forget that an "Appraisal" is just an opinion. Many local sellers (on Craigslist) note an appraisal of hundreds, or even thousands on old black straight stitch machines. They make the comment, "I know what it's worth so don't try to lowball me." Hahahahaha. WE all know that they do not sell for that much except in very very rare cases. These machines are listed for years, sometimes, and just do not sell, unless the seller gets smart and sells it for $10-$40.

    I bought a very nice FW right down the road at a garage sale, dirty and badly needing service, for $20. I later sold it for $250, which was a bit low for it's condition. I might have gotten more, but I figured that I had made enough on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Even the pros go to ebay for pricing for what the market will support. An item may be appraised for one amount but the selling price is usually a lot less then then the appraised value. I rarely go by the appraised value, it doesn't mean much except for insurance purposes.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    At my laptop
    Posts
    253
    According to the repairman at the Singer service center in my area. The color of the machienes plays a roll. He said Singer made them in different colors (black, green, white) one color being made better than the other. I took his advice when I bought mine.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    663
    I have heard that the black ones are made better, but the light colored ones bring more money....because they are more "rare". What did your OSMG tell you?

    Quote Originally Posted by gotta-sew View Post
    According to the repairman at the Singer service center in my area. The color of the machienes plays a roll. He said Singer made them in different colors (black, green, white) one color being made better than the other. I took his advice when I bought mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.