Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Featherweight help needed

I have a featherweight , haven't used it for a while , was going to teach my GS how to sew this weekend. But it looks like there was a kink in the cord to the foot pedal and must have a bent wire; so won't keep a connection. I looked in Billy's site to find help , but can't find teh right stuff, Can someone point me in the right direction? Please, Elaine.

If you have a broken wire in your cord, I would not keep trying to use the machine. I think you could short out the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    I have a featherweight , haven't used it for a while , was going to teach my GS how to sew this weekend. But it looks like there was a kink in the cord to the foot pedal and must have a bent wire; so won't keep a connection. I looked in Billy's site to find help , but can't find teh right stuff, Can someone point me in the right direction? Please, Elaine.

I just did a quick Google search for Featherweight cord replacement. Here is one for sale, but verify with seller that it is the correct one for your machine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304652

Found another site selling Featherweight parts. This one has the cord for $8.95

http://www.221parts.com/electric.htm

I am looking for instructions to rewire the foot pedal. Thank you

It sounds to me that the old wire inside the 'kink' is probably just brittle and has broken. Temporarily, you might try just getting the wire into a position where it works and then "splinting" it in that position with a little piece of wood and some tape--may or not work. You reallly just need a new cord. Or, someone with a little electrical knowhow could cut out the kink part and splice the two wires inside together. Good luck.

Sounds like the cord needs to be replaced. My hubby does this routinely with vinatage machines. Have fun teaching your grandson. What a wonderful thing you are passing on.

pal
    Hi Purplepassion, I just had the same problem on my 1947 Featherweight. Bought a new footpedal for about $15.00 and it came in a few days. After 60 years service I figured it was a job well done and retired the old one. I also purchased all of the attachments that I didn't have.

http://www.221parts.com

4044 Claremont Drive
    New Port Richey, FL. 34662