Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: featherweight seam guide

Blog Entries
    I just recieved my feahterweight 221. I want to know how to mark the 1/4 inch seam guide. On my other machine, I use a piece of painters masking tape. My 221 is in near perfect condition and don't want to mess it up. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    I have a old, near perfect Singer 185j and just got a 1/4 inch foot, but I've never heard of the blue painters tape ever ruining anything. I'm sure its safe to use it on your machine.

Blog Entries
    sometimes I use a Post it , also there is a tool included that mounts on your machine that you can set to sizes. Someone had it on here the other day, I knew I'd seen one before but didn't realize what it was for. Pretty cool

You can get a 1/4 in foot for this machine. Look at www.featherweight221rx

I think that when tape, like masking tape, is used and then left on and the machine put away in an attic, or hot closet or such, that tape bakes on and makes an impossible mess on any machine, but for a machine you are going to use all the time, I see not reason not to use blue painter's tape, or moleskin gives a little edge too for the fabric to ride against. Also, some time ago Jan from VA suggested getting small pads of Post-it notes, and using one at the 1/4" place and then using a strong rubber band like is around asparagus to hold the little pad in place.

for the FW you could use one of magnetic ones, just a thought.

Your featherweight may have a seam guide as one of the attachments. It reminds me of a mini rake and has a screw that screws into the bed of the machine and can be adjusted to any seam width. It works like a charm and won't damage your finish.

I use the metal seam guide that Shelbie talks about. I put one of my plastic rotary rulers, put it under the needle, bring the needle down so it is just touching the ruler and adjust the seam guide by putting it right up to the plastic ruler, tighten down the screw. If you don't have the seam guide, you can purchase. Try this website (they're on vacation until June 27th): http://www.221parts.com/

There are a lot of stores on line that sell a 1/4 in. foot for the featherweight.