Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I have been listening to you talk about featherweights and viewed the pictures you send when you finally find your treasure.
    Yesterday I too received a featherweight that my DH bought for me on e bay. I have watched you name your new friend and I'm naming mine Ida E. for my mother in law who died last month, great lady.
    I have one problem Ida E smells very musty, she sews like a dream but I don't know how to get rid of the odor. Ida E is beautiful and so small and is going to be a wonderful addition to my fairly new quilting hobby. Does anyone have a solution to my problem?
    Thanks in advance
    Mia

One of the best things you can do is remove the bottom and replace the felt and just let it air out.

That will help, also setting her out in the sun, cleaning her with white vinegar or putting her inside a large garbage bag of charcoal for a few days. One or all of the above should do the trick. :)

All of the above, ESP changing the pad. Might try dryer sheets in the box also. Bars of soap in the box also help,Dove.

Quote Originally Posted by zipit
    One of the best things you can do is remove the bottom and replace the felt and just let it air out.
    I agree.......this worked for me!

Mine was stinky too. For me the problem was the case. I did every thing I read to make it stop smelling and nothing worked. Finally, I put a fresh bar of good smelling soap in the case and I leave it there and no more stink.

I'm going right now to 'smell' my wonderful little featherweight. When I bought it, it had been sitting in a garage for about 10 years. I did take it to a sewing machine repair place that also specializes in Featherweights. They really did a major overhaul. I think the idea of a great smelling bar of soap in the box is a wonderful idea! Thanks.