Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
featherweight won't turn need help >

featherweight won't turn need help

featherweight won't turn need help

Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 PM

help my featherweight jammed up and now the wheel won't turn. I bought the featherweight so I would have a backup for my singer confidence since it has been in shop four times in fourteen months. Don't want to have to take it to shop thanks for any help
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by donnai
help my featherweight jammed up and now the wheel won't turn. I bought the featherweight so I would have a backup for my singer confidence since it has been in shop four times in fourteen months. Don't want to have to take it to shop thanks for any help
First, remove the needle and needle plate; remove any stuff that has collected under there. Also remove the bobbin to check for any stray thread. And, these machines need to be oiled about every 8 hours of use. If you don't know how to do these things, send me a PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 AM

I agree with k9 bet there is threads jammed in there. I've had it happened to me.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
I agree with k9 bet there is threads jammed in there. I've had it happened to me.
Ditto. Same thing happened to me. After I cleaned out the threads my FW was happy.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 AM

be sure to read your manual....if you don't have one, order one, it will help you maintain the machine.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 AM

alot of times there is a stray thread in the bobbin area that is the culprit some times it takes quite a search to find it also oil it
Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM

I agree that there is thread cought. I took twesers to get it but thread is caught in the area around the bobbin case. I don't have screwdriver small enough to fit the tiny screw to take it apart
Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Don't panic, I have had this happen also. As others suggested, just clear the bobbin and under the needle plate. I read once that the best way to prevent this from happening is to make sure the thread take up lever is at its highest point before you start stitching. After a while you get into the habit of as soon as you stop stitching, just turning the handwheel a bit until the lever is at its highest point. That way when you start stitching again, everything is good to go!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant
be sure to read your manual....if you don't have one, order one, it will help you maintain the machine.
You can always look online, too, and see the manual there. Though it is much easier to have your own copy.

ali
Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 AM

Most likely a tiny piece of thread is stuck under the bobbin area. Happened to me. Sinks Sewing Service in Lebanon, IN (phone on internet) might be able to tell you what to do over the phone. He is a very nice guy who work on old machines and helped me with this once.

Make sure you put the throat plate on properly or it still will not sew correctly. The little bobbin lever needs to fit in the slot under the throat plate. Ask me how I know.