Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Featherweights? Why? >

Featherweights? Why?

Featherweights? Why?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 PM

I have noticed that many are huge fans of old sewing machines and featherweights. I am a bit confused by this. Could you all explain the pros of using an antique machine? It must be good for so many eager to own one or two or three. :-o
Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM

i own 12 working antique singers and i have a few that i use for parts to restore them.

its cheaper to buy a machine for scrap then it is to buy parts on the market.

i do not use them though, for me i just love the history, the art work, and bringing them back to life.

i prefer to sew on modern machines with all the bells that come along with them - for me, technology is king.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM

I'll start by saying I do NOT have a featherweight. BUT...if I could find one at the right price, I'd snatch it up!!!! They sew slower than the newer machines...and usually a little straighter...maybe because of the slower speed. AND, I really love anything vintage. :)

Not sure if this helps you????:):)
Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

I love my FW. I take it to my sew days it is lightweight and sews quiet. It sews a very straight stitch. It's dependable, easy to maintain. I also have a 2006 model singer that I use for decorative stitches. My work horse is my Singer 15. It hums and will take on even the toughest jobs. Sewing machines are personal preferences. No right or wrong:)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM

I've owned a vintage machine for one day now, I wasn't even in the market for one. I can't wait to get started cleaning it and getting it into working order though. My husband used to restore old treadle cabinets and make tables out of them. He was a bit disappointed when I told him he could certainly restore the cabinet but it MUST remain in working order. How else would I run the treadle machine?

So why did I get it ... I'm still not sure, especially a treadle (I remember them, it takes a knack which I didn't have back then - perhaps now?). But I've got it and I'm happy!! It's VERY pretty.

As far as the featherweights are concerned I know a lot of people who go places with their machines like them because they're so light weight and small. they are also very good running machines.

The thing about the old machines is that they are purely mechanical. No bells and whistles ... and no bells and whistles to "break". The tension discs on mine right up front and outside the machine for the world to see and you know what ... until now I had NO IDEA what the tension discs really looked like. It's going back to basics - if you can understand every working part of this machine (which I intend on doing cause I'm the one that is going to take it apart and put it back together) I will know the basics of how my other computer machines works (the basics). I'll "see" and "know" the "guts" of the machine.

And from everything I've heard .. these older machines only do one thing so they've got to do it well.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:06 PM

I love my featherweight and use it all the time for piecing. I use my Viking for the quilting or decorative stitching. I love that it's small and lightweight, but it has a decent throat space for a small machine. I knew I'd use it often, but didn't realize that I would use it exclusively for my piecing. It's quieter, cuter and sews the best straight stitch. It would be handy to take to a class.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 PM

I do not have a feather weight (yet) but have a treadle machine and a red eye they are of sound mind and body easy to fix and usually cheap!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM

They are cute, sew beautifully, small, lightweight and can be serviced at home by the owner because they are basic. Keep them oiled and grease the gears and they will run forever. Parts are available and can be installed by the owner too. There are good how-to books explaining service, care and parts. I only have 4 featherweights!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:51 PM

A lady at a nearby fabric store has an old Brother. She said that it sews faster. She has three others of different brands but I don't think they are priced as bargains. :wink:
Old 09-09-2011, 05:59 PM

I say, why not? I would rather pay 200 or whatever it took for a Featherweight then the same price for a new Singer or other brand. I am sure the quality is better and it will last longer.

Plus, my husbands theory is that if you buy a Featherweight for 200.00 and a new Singer for 200.00 and used them the same amount of time on each. Then in a year wanted to sell them both, you would most likely get at the very least your money back on the Featherweight, but the the other Singer would be worth much less.

But mostly I love mine, all three of them because they are just so dang cute. I would buy another if the opportunity arose. In a heart beat.