Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feedback needed: Fabric prep for red, white and blue palette >

Feedback needed: Fabric prep for red, white and blue palette

Feedback needed: Fabric prep for red, white and blue palette

Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 PM

I was sifting thru my book and magazines and all the other loose patterns on my bookcase and came across a pattern I think will fit nicely with all the fabric prints I want to use on this quilt. It is called a Starry Path Month 6 From A Galaxy Of Stars block of the month in the Jinny Beyer Palette.

Since I am using an assortment of red, white and blue prints I am definitely going to rinse them to make sure they don't bleed. I have a solid white on white print that is being used for the background so I thought I should play it safe and prepare these fabrics carefully.

I am doing this tomorrow. Should I use white vinegar and cold water to help set the colors or use diluted borax and cold water? Any suggestions on this color palette?

I am excited to start and I think I can do this as a paper-pieced block. Only 4 pieces to this entire block and each block requires 4 quadrants. Simple, but unusual. If I like it, I may end up making a second in a different color theme.

Feedback please asap! Thanks.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

Vinegar and cold water typically have no effect on modern dyes. I'm not sure how Borax might affect unset dyes. Probably if you wash with detergent and "safe for color" powdered bleach, any subsequent washes should be safe; however, you do run the risk of colors fading from the powdered bleach if any of the dye has not been properly set.

The best way to prepare the fabrics would be to wash the fabrics separately (at least, separate by color) with Retayne. Retayne will set most dyes that were incorrectly set. After using Retayne, I would also wash all 3 fabrics together and let them sit damp on top of each other for awhile to make sure that no dye is going to migrate into the other fabrics. (This is called "crocking".

An alternative would be to cut a test swatch of each fabric and submerge them in clear containers of water (such as small clear plastic water glasses). Anything that turns the water a color would need to be treated with Retayne. Also, you would want to rub each wet colored fabric against the white fabrics to make sure that dye is not transferred by contact.

I know this is more prep than you were thinking of doing, but it is the safest treatment -- especially for red fabrics. Most reds and blues these days are colorfast. I usually just test reds that I am suspicious of, then wash the quilt for the first time with Synthrapol. However, Synthrapol alone may not be enough to prevent a bad red bleeder from ruining a quilt.

If you do prewash the fabrics, you may want to starch them afterwards. Washing removes the stabilizers the factory put into the fabric; starch restores stability, making cutting and piecing more accurate.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM

I am working on a red, white/cream, and blue quilt right now. I too was worried about bleeding. So for the first time in my life I washed fabric. These are the directions I used, Use a mild detergent such as Dreft, Woolite, or Orvus quilt soap. Use a short gentle cycle on warm wash, cool rinse setting. DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTNER. You can either toss fabric in the dryer on perm. press until ALMOST DRY, or hang outside (I hung). Remove fabric from dryer or line and press.

I will make sure to add SEVERAL color catchers in the washer when I wash it JUST IN CASE!

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Wow that sounds like a lot of work. But I think I will have to test it for sure. I could have avoided it completely if it weren't for my interest in making a patriotic quilt. Will post pics as it goes along. Where can I get the Retayne?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:12 AM

In the Heart and Soul baby quilt I made, there are alot of vibrant colours. The new Mom didn"t want to chance washing it and asked me if I would. I washed it with Zero for colours (liquid detergent) and used 3 Colour Catchers in the wash load...and then held my breathe...I never prewash my fabrics and one of these days I'm going to wish I had. Anyway, the Colour Catchers are awesome and reasonably priced.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Quilt shops that cater to dyers carry Retayne. Also Amazon and online places such as Dharma Trading and ProChem.