Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Feeling Quite Thrifty Today!

Great! I needc all the saving tip ideas I can get. You gals are great!

Don't you just love being able to use stuff in your stash and not run to the store!

Welcome to the "Don't Throw That Away Club". Some day I'll find a use for that may be tomorrow or even next year!

Re: Faggoting stitch - what type of machine do you use and is that stitch numbered?

I always save my batting extras. I actually sew them together to make batting for quilts. amazing how much use you can get from some left overs.

Hi, I'm new to quilting and am making a rag quilt for my son's girlfriend. I don't know where to start cutting and not sure how much fabric to buy. I'm making a throw size and have ordered some fabric from The Cotton Loft Oct. 16th and still haven't received it. Has anyone ever ordered from there? They said their behind in orders.
    Also any suggestions for cutting fabric for the Rag quilt I'm a little nervous to start.

I think some of us would be amazed at things we'd discover if we went through all those boxes we plan to get to some day!

Love your idea about machine basting your batting pieces together. Do you just zig zag the pieces together? I am glad that I saved pieces of leftover batting from quilts I have made. I love saving money!

Quote Originally Posted by ging10ging
    Hi, I'm new to quilting and am making a rag quilt for my son's girlfriend. I don't know where to start cutting and not sure how much fabric to buy. I'm making a throw size and have ordered some fabric from The Cotton Loft Oct. 16th and still haven't received it. Has anyone ever ordered from there? They said their behind in orders.
    Also any suggestions for cutting fabric for the Rag quilt I'm a little nervous to start.
    I also made my first order to Cotton Loft and just received my fabric. It seemed to take 2-3 weeks to get it. Two of my four fabrics had apparently been sold out, but I am happy with the quality of the two that I did receive.

I don't know what to tell you about how much fabric to buy. I used scraps on my latest one. My squares were 7" and I used 6" batting for the inside. You can make them any size you want to. My quilt ended up being 90 squares (9 X 10) and is a nice size lap quilt. Hope this helps!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5