Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It feels like it's taking SO long... >

It feels like it's taking SO long...

It feels like it's taking SO long...

Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 AM

I totally understand -- there are several members of my quilting bee that finish a quilt within several weeks --me, it takes months and months as I have so many other things to do!!-- I piece and quilt by machine although when I first started quilting, I handquilted -- don't get discouraged or frustrated
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

My first quilt took 11 years - with Many done between the start & finish of that first one.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Truth be told, my first quilt never did get finished. One of these days I will fix the problems and get it done.

Why don't you look at this first one as the maiden voyage into a wonderful hobby land. Learn from it and enjoy the process. You will look back at it with fondness and a sense of accomplishment.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 AM

There are a number of people that do the quilting by hand, but I honestly don't know of anyone on this board that pieces by hand (except English paper piecing, but that's different). I admire the fact that you want to learn a traditional skill, but hand piecing seems like torture to me! You will never see that sewing!

Taking a how-to-sew class to introduce you to machine sewing is a great idea. I would suggest that you look at vintage sewing machines before buying new; you seem like the kind of person that would appreciate a classic machine, and for quilting you really can get all you need at a very good price this way. People in the vintage section of the board can give you good advice on selecting a machine.

For your current project, if you want to get it done but keep on piecing by hand, consider making it smaller. I don't know how big you were planning on making it, but it could always be sized down to become a throw, or a baby quilt, or a wall hanging, or a table runner... Hand sewing fabric you aren't crazy about isn't nearly as much fun as working with fabric you love. It's always okay to reconsider a project partway through!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 AM

I would put that one aside (far, far aside) and make one with beautiful fabric that will inspire you to finish! I machine piece (Brother machines are very reasonable and good quality) and I then hand quilt.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Hi Angelica, welcome, you have heard all the best advice already!
I also like to do everything from scratch, cooking, growing stuff in the garden TO cook, etc. I like to make things with my own 2 hands.
I am new to quilting too and taking a class; I started my first quilt last September, and still working on the top. When I get done I plan to hand-quilt it as well, whatever it takes.
For whatever my second quilt will be, I am going to try the Quilt As You Go Method (QAYG) where the blocks/rows or columns are quilted in small sections then assembled. I have older mechanical machines, non-computerized - because I am into heavy metal (joke!) - and I'm not clear on how I would manipulate a bed-sized quilt back and forth and still have it come out OK. Maybe when I become more proficient.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:15 PM

Forgot to say, for myself, I need a couple different projects going at once for when I need to take a break or get frustrated or bored. So don't worry, it IS up to you.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:23 PM

I have around 20 UFO's and some day they will get done.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:07 PM

Welcome to the Board! Sorry health issues entered into your lives, but glad things are on the uphill.

Don't worry about setting something aside--I always have more than one project in progress (although some are in a lot less progress at any one time!).

My first quilt took about 2 years for a wallhanging--machine pieced, hand quilted. I would recommend that you get a machined--think you will be amazed how much you enjoy having it,not just for quilts. You can get a $90 Brother at Walmart--no frills, but it will sew fine. I had one that I even was able to Free Motion Quilt with--came with hopping foot, could drop the feed dogs, etc. Take a couple of classes to learn how to use a machine and fly!

A friend that teaches beginner classes with me always says, if you don't love the fabric, don't use it! you'll never get finished!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 AM

It took me 15 years to finish the first large quilt I started LOL
I did many quilts in between the beginning and end of that one. I have many quilts in progress at any given time.

Kudos to you for doing hand piecing and hand quilting. I've only done machine piecing until recently I started some hand piecing.

Also, there's nothing wrong with never finishing that first one. I once saw Eleanor Burns on a TV show with her first quilt. She had never finished it! Here is a woman famous in the quilt world with a quilt unfinished from 30 years earlier!