Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It feels like SUMMER when... >

It feels like SUMMER when...

It feels like SUMMER when...

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Default It feels like SUMMER when...

I'm glue basting a quilt because I just changed into my tank top and shorts! Sure the snow is flying in Minnesota and it's pretty balmy today at 20 degrees, but I'm glue-basting a quilt so am on my hands and knees on the floor with a hot iron and, boy, am I sweating! Am I done?--heck no! Taking a break and checkin' the board!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Too funny!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM

...the sliding door to my quilting room is open and fresh breezes remove the heat from the iron and the many lights.

No, wait. It feels like early spring, because if it was summer that door would be firmly closed and the AC on!

Alison
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 PM

It is to be in 80's here this week. It is a beautiful cool day here today. Just wonderful. Oh, but wait until summer. 110 maybe. ugh!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM

It is grim in the uk, we have had our second lot of snow. It is either raining, really cold and windy and so dull. I have daffodils coming through in my garden and primroses but it is defiinately not spring yet
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM

It's a little cool yet here in Kentucky. The daffodils and periwinkles are blooming though. No doors open here today, but it is in the 50's. Soon it will e warm enough for me to play golf.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Yesterday was warm-ish, high 40s-very low 50s, but gray and rainy. Today is clear deep blue skies and 57. There are signs of spring *thinking* about coming everywhere.....heard the tree frogs - or maybe they are locusts, not sure - chirping and filling the air with their song for the first time this year at Mother's condo complex a couple hours ago. Some of the very first trees are budding, a few spring flowers are beginning to poke up, there are tiny, tiny, blue wild flowers among the grass in the yard. I hear more birds in the morning than I did even last week. The horses in the pasture seem friskier and happier.

But the furnace still runs; soup is still good for dinner; the quilt is still on the bed; I still make something in the oven at night and leave the door open afterwards to share the leftover heat. The mock turtlenecks and heavier weight slacks continue to make up my wardrobe and socks are still good to sleep in. But I can see the angle of the sun has changed, and it's not just daylight savings time (which I dearly love, BTW!), and I'm beginning to dream about blooming "pretties' for the front porch soon.

There is hope to look forward to for those of us who sock in and hibernate for the winter months!

Jan in VA
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

I know it is spring in Pa when I hear the peepers in my ponds start singing. I was hoping they would start yesterday.
They have always started between March 6th and 9th. I awoke to their song around 4am this morning. They are late this year, but they make me happy!

No need for an iron or lights here for it to be spring!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Spring? What's spring? The yard is still covered in snow. However, the temperatures this week are a little warmer - at least we are above freezing. But then again, the weather forecast is calling for an inch of snow tonight. But then spring means yard work - yikes! that's less time for sewing!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

That is funny!