felted wool

Old 04-16-2011, 03:18 AM

Try this website and see if it helps you:

http://www.birdbraindesigns.net/wool.aspx
Old 04-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

primative gatherings, the cotton patch (in East Tawas, MI),
eveningstar designs, fabric.com, sue spargo.com, and the local thrift stores
are all my favorite resources for wools. and wool is wonderful to play with dyeing fabrics, so if you are not finding the colors you want in the thrift shops consider dying your own.
marcus brothers puts out felted wool bundles- i think the pieces are something like 9"x11" in a variety of colors (solids) and hand dyes (mottled) i watch for sales on these because you get a number of great colors at a good price.
if you visit the marcus brothers site you can find out the shops that carry them - then visit those shops and find a couple that (catch your eye) then watch for sales. :thumbup: i love working with wool!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Here's another with bright colors

http://www.woolylady.com/
Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 PM

I have also been trying to find wool for applique. I have found quite a bit at thrift stores that I have felted myself but like others have posted most of it is darker colors. I have found some pink and light blue but good colors are limited. I am currently making the Baltimore Album BOM with wool but need a new source for colors. I am looking for Turquoise, yellow, orange, bright green. I will check out the sources posted on this link.

I have not tried dying wool - what kind of dye do you use? Is the process hard to do? I have found some natural colored sweaters so I could easiy dye those.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

if you are interested in dyeing your own wools visit:
Dharma Trading Company- they offer all of the needed supplies for textile dyeing- wools, silks, cottons- everything you need including FREE tutorials and instruction sheets.
i have been dying fabrics for years and buy all of my supplies from Dharma.
here's a pic of the wool hand appliqued quilt i did a few years ago- most of the wools were hand dyed/felted recycled wools.

wool hand appliqued quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185394[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185388.jpe  
Old 04-17-2011, 02:57 AM

ckcowl, that is beautiful. I too remember a board member asking if anyone would be interested in doing wool applique and I thought she had alot of interest.
Wonder what happened to that idea? I have done some, and it is wonderful and easy to work with (for me easier than cotton).
Old 04-17-2011, 04:53 AM

The Dorr Mill Store in Guild, NH is the Keepsake Quilting of wool for quilters, rug hookers and braiders. Their customer service is superior and their wools are simply heavenly no matter what you intend to use them for. http://dorrmillstore.com/index.php/s..._the_dorr_mill
Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 AM

The Dorr Mill Store in NH is the best place to buy wool for applique. They also sell Cushings and Pro Chem dyes. Woolrich in Pa. is another good place. If you do a general google search on rug hooking you will see many more options.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 AM

here's a pic of the wool hand appliqued quilt i did a few years ago- most of the wools were hand dyed/felted recycled wools.[/quote]

Your quilt is beautiful. Is your black background wool also? I would love to do one of these. I have kept a pattern I found in a series of Fons & Porter's magazine...just for that purpose. :)

No, I really don't want to get into dying fabrics. Not for me...but I admire the work that others do.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if you are interested in dyeing your own wools visit:
Dharma Trading Company- they offer all of the needed supplies for textile dyeing- wools, silks, cottons- everything you need including FREE tutorials and instruction sheets.
i have been dying fabrics for years and buy all of my supplies from Dharma.
here's a pic of the wool hand appliqued quilt i did a few years ago- most of the wools were hand dyed/felted recycled wools.
Your quilt is absolutely stunning! I am in awe!!! I would love to do something like that. I will definately check out Dharma. I never thought of searching under rug hooking for ideas. That is something else I would love to try someday but too many quilts are waiting to be done right now!

Thanks for showing such a beautiful quilt!