Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A few questions about hand quilting and frames

So I just joined and I'm hoping to get some input on my next project. Yes, it's a 30's reproduction quilt for my 5 yr old. I will be hand quilting it , but I don't want to just stitch straight lines. What would be a nice pattern? Also, I'm thinking of buying a frame. This quilt is a queen size. Any suggestions?

30's pinwheel
    Name:  Attachment-80957.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  99.7 KB

Blog Entries
    wow, love your quilt, have fun

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Would you just draw the design on the quilt and then stitch it by hand?

My DGM made me a pinwheel quilt(late 1960's) and she hand quilted it. She quilted 1/4" inside of each HST and this really sets it off! Mine doesn't have sashing, but also do a design down the sashing strips.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    My DGM made me a pinwheel quilt(late 1960's) and she hand quilted it. She quilted 1/4" inside of each HST and this really sets it off! Mine doesn't have sashing, but also do a design down the sashing strips.
    This sounds like it would be perfect! And the quilt top is lovely!

Nice work! I don't have any suggestions as to how to quilt it, but it'll be gorgeous however you do it! :)

In each Pinwheel, in the white areas you could quilt repeated 1/4 inch all the way around inside the white triangles. Inside the colored triangle only quilt 1/4 omch once. This will make the colored portion of the Pinwheel pop out more. On your sashing you could get a stencil and do a rope design or any wavy design. Something curvy. Just an idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    So I just joined and I'm hoping to get some input on my next project. Yes, it's a 30's reproduction quilt for my 5 yr old. I will be hand quilting it , but I don't want to just stitch straight lines. What would be a nice pattern? Also, I'm thinking of buying a frame. This quilt is a queen size. Any suggestions?
    Lovely quilt.
    I'm no good at quilting designs, sorry.
    But, I can tell you my quilting frame experiences - I've had three; one I gave to a friend who liked it; the other 2 are sitting in my basement. I hated all of them. Now, when I hand quilt, regardless of the size, I use a large round or rectangular hoop.

If it was me I would quilt 1/4" from seams but if you want to off set all the angles an all over baptist fan might look good on this. You don't say if your 5 year old is boy or girl. Do they have something favorite? Like teddy bears in each block or kittens?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast