Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A few tee-shirt quilt questions >

A few tee-shirt quilt questions

A few tee-shirt quilt questions

Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
I'm making a tee-shirt (T-shirt?) quilt for someone as a favor. (Quilts with words on them are not my cup of tea, so I've procrastinated for over a year and have got to get to it.) The quilt commemorates 20 or so years of a charity run, so there are 20+ shirts of various bright colors, some with the year printed on them, some without. I bought some bright batik to harmonize with the various colors of shirts as sashing, and I know about using the iron-on interfacing to stabilize the knitted fabric, but beyond that, I could use some advice.
- Should I orient all the shirt-patches in the same direction and place them in chronological order (so they read like a page, beginning at upper left? There are various sponsors printed on the backs of the shirts, too. They plan to hang the quilt in Town Hall, which may make an orderly arrangement more desirable; on the other hand, it may be more fun for people to peruse the quilt to pick out the pieces they're looking for.)
- Should I go for random patches of tee-shirt, turned in various directions and cut various sizes? (More work and calculating, I know)
- Is sashing a good idea? It does "tame down" the vividly-colored shirts a bit by picking up their colors.
- All these pieces potentially add up to a huge quilt. What's a good size limit? (I have to quilt it - probably SID - on a domestic machine.)
- What about all the leftover tee-shirt pieces? Any use for them?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I've got to get some momentum going on this before I disappoint those who are waiting for it. Responses to any of these questions - or suggestions on how to proceed - are much appreciated!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534741[/ATTACH] I prefer a "scrappy" method for Tshirt quilts. It uses up scraps, adapts different sizes to a uniform block size and adds interest. Also, sashing will increase the size of your already large quilt. Just my thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails 100_1431.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 06:52 AM

Thanks! This is similar to what I imagine mine will look like, with less variation because it's a repeat of the same tee-shirt over the years in different colors. The logo and motto changed (once) over the years, so it won't be completely monotonous. I now have a better idea of the final size and it's not excessively big.

Nice job on your quilt. I like the variety of sashing materials and the psychedelic border. I assume it's for a little girl? (Just kidding - It's so not that. I'll bet Jesee's getting a lot of use out of it!)
Old 11-02-2015, 07:10 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534746[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534747[/ATTACH]

Made this one per my teenage granddaughter's instructions.
She didn't want fabric between the t-shirt squares.
**Next time, I won't offer a choice. I'll just make it the way I deem necessary.
It would have been so much easier to frame each square.
Didn't use batting, as it is plenty heavy already.
Used 108" flannel for the backing.
Did a meandering stitch in the ditch for quilting.
Attached Thumbnails img_5018.jpg   img_5020.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:20 AM

Thanks for sharing and the warning about the batting. Maybe I should leave it out of mine too. There's so much more variety in it than mine will be.

I used to drive up through the hill country (to Austin, San Antonio, Spicewood, Marble Falls) when I lived in the RGV a few years ago. It sure is beautiful, especially in the spring.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 AM

unfortunately this quilt got burned up in a house fire. NY DGS was not harmed and his mother managed to find enough additional shirts so I could make another one for him. Not as nice as the first because of the shirts but he still likes it.
I have made 8 of these quilts for various people.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:33 PM

Whenever I have made a tee-shirt quilt on my DM, I have quilted it in sections. They are so heavy, and this cuts down on the amount of time that you have to fight a heavy quilt under a small machine. I do sash the sections and put them together with the same fabric that I used for the sashing.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by spark View Post
I do sash the sections and put them together with the same fabric that I used for the sashing.
I'm a little confused. You quilt them in sections with the same fabric on the back that you use for the sashing? Do you put the sections together by hand?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
Just remember that the knit fabric of the T-shirts is stretched horizontally and the interfacing should be vertical. That way there is no stretch and the fabric will not bunch up when sewing together.
After reading this I now know why I have issues. My mind does think of that when I see the word stabilizer. Thanks for the tip
Old 11-03-2015, 03:20 AM

I've made several tee shirt quilts and I used a woven iron on interface that helps the tee shirt fabric handle like other fabric. I've made queen and lap size, using 15" squares and sashings/cornerstones. I was always happy with how they came out.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:43 AM

I'm glad I learned about the interfacing for tee-shirt fabric before I tried to put my first one together. From all the comments here, it sounds like it's essential for successful assembly of a quilt. Learning about the weight was important too, and something I didn't consider.

I'm still wondering (forgive me for being dense) how, in a quilt that you've quilted in sections, to put it together.