Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fidelity mats >

Fidelity mats

Fidelity mats

Old 07-05-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Well, first the title of the thread intrigued me, then the subject did!

Check etsy or pinterest for ideas, there are scads! Great idea. They would also be useful in OT classrooms. Here is a link for an idea on how to make them. http://www.suggys.co.uk/Leanne/alzhe...t-lap-blanket/ If you look at pinterest or etsy, you'll see all kinds of things that have been included; just enter fidget or sensory. Also aprons: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...on&rs=ac&len=6 DD is just finishing her Masters in OT, I think one of these would be great for her to have!
Our quilt club made these about three years ago, and they were well received by area nursing homes. Ours were blankets about 24 X 36 inches or less. We used lots of fleece, fake fur, satin and every conceivable texture of fabric in any shape, sort of like a crazy qult. These were originally supposed to be "Touch Quilts" that would teach blind babies how to crawl. I saw the idea originally on "Sewing With Nancy", but since have not been able to find that again. For lap touch quilts, they certainly could be smaller.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:14 AM

The mats sound like a good idea.I used to made cloth books with zips velcro fastening,buttons( must be secured between double fabric),fur fabric,lace etc.I also put in suspender fasteners and bra clips, great for the fellas too.The mats would be much quicker to make though,and as my stash of all the bits and pieces are now sadly declined I could find enough for them.Well done Love Letty
Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 AM

These are great!

Susan
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM

Sound great! My old guild made "Texture" quilts for the Lighthouse group. They would get various fabric pieces and sew them into a small quilt for blind babies.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Thanks to all of you for your response. I hope this will inspire others. I just finished six more of these. Instead of birthing method, I used scrap binding which adds a bit of color. Some ideas, sew a 3 inch square to mat, stuffing it with a piece of batting which gives a bumpy feel. If you have a squeaker, cover that with a square. I also use tulle and slip some sequins in the square. I didn't put any beads on the mats for safety reasons. I did make a child's quiet mat using fat quarters, binding it and adding handles for carrying. Everyone at my nieces baby shower liked it.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
Sound great! My old guild made "Texture" quilts for the Lighthouse group. They would get various fabric pieces and sew them into a small quilt for blind babies.
Could you tell us to where you sent the "Texture Quilts"? I have a bag of stuff to make more, and would like to make some for blind babies.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Thanks to Janie67 for mentioning the article in Quilter's Newsletter. That lead me to a link for the Fidget Quilt Project website: http://rowetogether.com/
Old 07-05-2014, 06:32 PM

This was on QB recently.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t234764.html
Old 07-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for posting this thread. I am a disability support worker and I am very interested in this type of thing. I work with people on the autism spectrum, very interesting and useful. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:54 PM

I have an autistic son. He would have loved something like this when he was young. Thanks for posting, food for thought.