Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fidelity mats >

Fidelity mats

Fidelity mats

Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Default Fidelity mats

I read about making fidjit mats for Alzheimer's patients on this board and decided to make some. They came out very nice and took them to our local nursing home. I just got a call from the volunteer telling me their therapy people liked them and the patients liked them too. I do not make them any bigger than a fat quarter, using different types of fabrics, silks, corduroy, fleece, and strips of ribbon or lace in the seams. My backing is flannel and I use the birth method with rounded corners but you could also bind them but make sure it's machine stitched. They make great use of scraps and perhaps bring a bit of comfort. Don't know how to post pics which are worth a 1000 words.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Auto correct strikes again. I had to find out how one could make a fidelity mat when I read the title. I am glad the activity matts were well received.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 AM

Gee, I wish you could post a picture; they sound like something that I could make for a friend who has Alzheimers.
Is it something similar to a fidgit pillow?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 AM

I'm thinking about making one for my grandad. I saw him the other day and he has gone downhill very quickly, and I noticed he was fiddling with his arms, so thought he might benefit from one. I was going to put a quick ask out on the board for ideas but now I don't need to :-)
Thank you for your timely post!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Wonderful!!! Do you know how to send a picture through email or text message?? If so, you can send them to me and I will post them here for you!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 PM

I had to click to see what that is all about ;-)
Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Well, first the title of the thread intrigued me, then the subject did!

Check etsy or pinterest for ideas, there are scads! Great idea. They would also be useful in OT classrooms. Here is a link for an idea on how to make them. http://www.suggys.co.uk/Leanne/alzhe...t-lap-blanket/ If you look at pinterest or etsy, you'll see all kinds of things that have been included; just enter fidget or sensory. Also aprons: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...on&rs=ac&len=6 DD is just finishing her Masters in OT, I think one of these would be great for her to have!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 AM

What a super idea, I have never heard of this before. I haven't known anyone personally with Alzheimer's and this would be wonderful to make and donate.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:43 AM

Lol yes, the name intrigued me too!!!! They are called by many different names. Some of which are Fiddle quilts. And I know there are others, they are very good for nursing home patients and People with Autism love them!
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by dorismae904 View Post
I read about making fidjit mats for Alzheimer's patients on this board and decided to make some. They came out very nice and took them to our local nursing home. I just got a call from the volunteer telling me their therapy people liked them and the patients liked them too. I do not make them any bigger than a fat quarter, using different types of fabrics, silks, corduroy, fleece, and strips of ribbon or lace in the seams. My backing is flannel and I use the birth method with rounded corners but you could also bind them but make sure it's machine stitched. They make great use of scraps and perhaps bring a bit of comfort. Don't know how to post pics which are worth a 1000 words.

They are featured in an article in the June/July Quilters Newsletter magazine on page 58. The article contain photos and suggestions for objects that can be included and the need for them to be washable and sturdy. It would be a great public service project for a quilters group. My Featherweight group is going to assemble some at our July meeting.