Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fidget blanket >

Fidget blanket

Fidget blanket

Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Paula Fullager
Here's one that has photos and sensory items.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picturesbyann/4207842423/
That's a really good one ... and puts many of the elements already suggested in previous posts together in a lovely manner.

Did you make this PaulaFullager? or was it one that you found via Mr. Google? I'm sure a lot of love, thought, care and no doubt tears went into making this quilt!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 AM

I know it is not the same thing but you could probably get ideas from looking up busy blankets for babies also maybe?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 AM

There are some amazing ideas here. My friend's Mom just passed away from Alzheimers and her SIL told a story about Mom sitting in her wheelchair where a speaker was talking about sewing. Although she wasn't really responding to much else, she piped up and corrected them: Oh, no, you need to insert the needle from the other way to be sure you hide your knot. She learned that when she was very young and it was one of the last things she forgot. Sorry you are going through this horrible disease. The fidget quilt has given me some ideas. Thanks for posing the question.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 AM

Our quilt group uses a pocket, lace or ruffles, buttons or snaps, zippers, 3-D pinwheels or flying geese and usually some bright colors. Some times we just use a small lap quilt sort of thing other times we do it on an adult bib.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 AM

My dad died of Alzheimers last year and I had made him a bib with many textures of things hanging from velcro. He loved it, especially the one with a knotty texture (I tied a small sandwich). Just make sure you label everything if he's in a nursing home.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM

If you have ever seen a learning board for children that teaches them to zip, snap, button, velcro etc. Anything that they can hands on do without hurting themselves. Open and close with velcro is great. Alzheimers is a disease our family is very familiar with.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 AM

Hi,

I would suggest you include different textures as well as items for repetative actions. Satin, rough, etc, as well as a flap with buttonhole and large button. Different type pockets with a button closure, zipper closure, even a ribbon that ties it closed would be great. Items need to be big enough so hand with arthritis can still manipulate them. The different textures, such as satin are very soothing. My mom lived 8 years with Alzhiemers, I wish I had made her a lap blanket like this. Good luck with your project.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 AM

What a wonderful idea. I would sure like to try one, donate someplace and see how it goes over.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 AM

I wish I had known this type of thing existed when my DFIL was still here with us. It would have helped keep him busy and occupied when he was at home and when he was moved to a nursing home. He's been gone 5years now. My uncle is suffering from Alz. And in a nursing home right now. He might be too far into this horrible disease to even benefit from something like this, but I love the whole idea. I may make some for the home where DFIL was in memory of him. And as someone said, it is much harder on the family and caregivers than the patient.. At first they are devastated, frustrated, but they eventually forget that and move to the next stage, but the family doesn't. It's horrible and scares me to death.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 AM

Have you tried looking at baby activity pads. They may give you ideas.