Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fidget quilts - what works, what doesn't? >

Fidget quilts - what works, what doesn't?

Fidget quilts - what works, what doesn't?

Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 PM

I think I need to make some of these for the nursing home where my mom was. I think I will make them the size for a wheel chair quilt, though, with some fiddle items in the lap/thigh area.
Those looked great, mermaid.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 AM

Thanks for the complimentary posts. It was my first attempt, and I wanted to change up my Xmas donates this year. I have 5 'walker' bags and my usual doz or more lap quilts. I love the process and it keeps my hands busy & out of trouble (as my gramma used to say). I had read about the fidget quilts before--in fact you may find this interesting--I saw recently on our local sales network "activity quilts" for $35 each. There was very little "activity" on them and it spurred me to make mine to give to someone needy. I'm curious if there is ownership or if the home staff only shares with residents when appropriate. I want to do a few more in the next year.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:57 AM

Here are a couple I made: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t278829.html
I didn't get much feedback though except that they were being used, by one lady in particular, and were well liked. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:45 AM

There are some beautiful quilts posted and they look to be washable. Especially if they are in a nursing home they will be washed in HOT water.
We have some beautiful souls on our site.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Since it is for a family member I recommend embroidering his/her name on the quilt. Attachments are especially nice if they mean something to the recipient. I made a "leash" to attach a small stuffed pug to my brother's quilt as he had pugs at home. In the hospital he made sure everyone petted his soft pug puppy. I am making my own fidget quilt in case I ever need it and I am including a picture of myself on fabric and different fabrics and craft items because those are the things I love.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 AM

Anything 'touchy feely' - different textures - fake fur, ruffles. A pocket with a small stuffed animal - I attached the animal to the quilt with elastic so they can't lose it. Buttons with buttonholes so they can button and unbutton - Make sure the button as sewed on securely. Large beads stung on heavy cord or ribbon and fastened securely to the quilt.