Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fiestaware colors for placemats >

Fiestaware colors for placemats

Fiestaware colors for placemats

Old 09-25-2015, 03:42 AM

Default Fiestaware colors for placemats

I was following a thread posted earlier about finding Kona, Moda, etc. solid cottons to match Fiestaware dishes. I, too, am going to make placemats for my daughter who just started with 10 colors of Fiesta Ware. My problem is I don't have a very good selection of Kona, Moda, etc. cotton here locally to choose from and I am afraid I will have to order online from someplace like Hancocks of Paducah or MSQC. When ordering online, you don't really know how well the colors are going to match just by looking at the thumbnail picture. I want the solids for Fiesta Ware in the colors of lapis, peacock, turquoise, plum, shamrock, scarlet, sunflower, poppy, tangerine, and lemongrass. If anyone has the knowledge of what Kona or Moda matches these Fiesta colors, I would be forever grateful. This is the best place to find help!!
Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I buy my Kona cotton from the Fabric Shack. MSQC requires a minimum of .25 yd and HofPad requires a half yard purchase. Shipping from Fabric Shack is $3 in USA under $75 purchase.

There are 330 colors that RK offers. I have the color chart and there are two turquoise: Peacock and Jamaica. There is a yellow shade called Sunflower, another is called Plum, and another is called Tangerine, a green is called Leprechaun. You might check out RK website:
http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics/kona_cotton/
Old 09-25-2015, 06:24 AM

Call around to your local shops and see if any of them have the Kona color card. Perhaps they'd let you come in and look at it for the colors you need that they don't stock. I have the card, but I don't have any Fiestaware (old or new) so can't really help.

If I were you, to match 10 colors as exactly as you want, I'd spring for a color card of my own. They run around $20 at HoP and mine has been invaluable. Because of the wider range of color choices, I think your odds of a match are better with Kona than Moda and, personally, I don't like mixing the two because of the difference in sheen between them. Also be aware that color names means nothing, so plum Fiestaware will probably not be the same as plum Kona.

Kona really should just come up with a chart on their own that matches their colors with Fiestaware. You know, like the conversion charts for DMC and Anchor embroidery floss? I wonder if anyone has ever asked them to do that?

Last edited by ghostrider; 09-25-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 AM

The Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's in my area carry Kona cotton. I am always careful when picking it out at JoAnn's because they mix up the solids when reshelving bolts.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 PM

I just saw a post on Pinterest that told the Sherwin Williams equivalents of several Fiesta colors. If you had the paint chips you could use them to shop for fabric.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 PM

I posted this in the other thread, but I will post it here. It is about an online tool that I use all the time to match to exact Kona (or Bella, Aurifill, etc.) colours.

There is a website run by a quilter who is also has a degree in computer science. Her site is www.play-crafts.com. She invented a tool that she calls Palette Builder, and you can access it on her website. You upload the photo with the colours that you want to match, and select spots in your picture. The program will give you the shade of Kona (or whatever option you select) that matches the colour in the picture. Maybe that will be helpful for you? I have used it myself many times and it is a wonderful tool.

This is the direct link: http://www.play-crafts.com/blog/palettebuilder2/
Old 09-26-2015, 06:01 AM

Please be sure to read the disclaimer before using that site to make purchasing decisions. It reads: "Please note: While the matching uses official swatches, there is some room for error due to dye lots and monitor variation. Please use responsibly. "
http://www.play-crafts.com/blog/tools/

Think about it. That would include variations made by your camera, your computer monitor and their computer monitor. How often do the colors in your digital photos exactly match the colors of what you photographed? And then uploaded and downloaded to different computers before they are compared to fabric swatches? Not reliable in my opinion. She's matching the photo as she sees it, nothing more, nothing less. Anyone with a color card can do that.

Fiestaware has their own color chart. Why not just find one of those and take that to the quilt shop??

</ARTICLE>

Last edited by ghostrider; 09-26-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 AM

I'm betting if you sent the fiesta ware color chart or matching paint chips to a place like Missouri Star, and tell them what you are doing they would match the colors for you. They seem pretty accommodating. They might even be interested in doing a match chart on their website for others to use to do what you are planning. It is worth emailing them to ask if they would do it for you.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Please be sure to read the disclaimer before using that site to make purchasing decisions. It reads: "Please note: While the matching uses official swatches, there is some room for error due to dye lots and monitor variation. Please use responsibly. "
http://www.play-crafts.com/blog/tools/

Think about it. That would include variations made by your camera, your computer monitor and their computer monitor. How often do the colors in your digital photos exactly match the colors of what you photographed? And then uploaded and downloaded to different computers before they are compared to fabric swatches? Not reliable in my opinion. She's matching the photo as she sees it, nothing more, nothing less. Anyone with a color card can do that.

Fiestaware has their own color chart. Why not just find one of those and take that to the quilt shop??

Well obviously the program would have to run to match the colours in the pictures that were uploaded. Computer programs can do a lot, but they still have their faults. This is a tool that I thought might help. I did not say that it was the only solution. I have also used it when I have a picture with colours that I love and would like to match, for example, a picture of the tulips in my front yard.

With regards to the disclaimer about dye lots, that is completely out of her control. Dye lots vary because of the manufacturer.

Also, she herself is not matching the photo. The computer program is.

Last edited by beaniekins; 09-26-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:28 AM

This link matches some of the colors. Hope this helps.

http://www.modernquiltingbyb.com/201...iestaware.html