Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Figuring out when your rulers are off? >

Figuring out when your rulers are off?

Figuring out when your rulers are off?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:20 AM

Once in a while on here someone will tell a quilting story and it will include the phrase "...and then I found out my ruler was 1/16" off! Grrrr" or something to that effect.

I'm just curious. How do you end up figuring out that your ruler is off? Do you take another ruler and compare (if so, how do you know the other ruler isn't off)? Is there some sort of calibration device to check? Nobody has explained how they ended up figuring out that their rulers were off and therefore their measurements were off.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Banned

get a good accurate ruler and measure - perhaps a draftsmen's ruler. Or any good ruler will work. And when you cut, be consistent on which side of the mark you line up to cut. I took a class and the teacher said to line up with the left side of the mark. It gives just a tiny bit extra.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 AM

I've heard that as rulers age, you should hold them up against a flat surface to be sure there aren't any bows in the cutting edge.

How else it would be off is a mystery to me, but I have heard that some people measure on the cutting mat, which can be a guide, but is not as accurate as a ruler.

Lastly, brands might be a hair differnt, so that might make a difference - try to stick with one brand.

Honestly, I think it's likely user error. I have found that my cuts are more accurate now that I use Creative Grids products. The lines are finer and those colored lines on other brands are not only too wide for me, they are distracting.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

There are a couple of ways a ruler can be "off"

1) It's worn down in the center - to check/notice for that -

a) when you start cutting strips - you thought you cut correctly - and when you move the ruler down for the next cut, the fabric isn't lined up with the measuring line on the ruler

This is when I finally figured out my RULER was the problem - it seemed strange to me that cut edge was not straight when I knew I hadn't moved the fabric after cutting it.

b) put the cutting edge against a counter or surface you know is straight - does the whole edge touch the surface?

2) It was printed "wrong" - I think I go by "marjority rule" - sorry, bad pun - and see if it lines up with several other rulers -

Offhand, I can think of at least three that I've had were "off" - either in actual size (a square) or where the lines were printed.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125999.jpe  
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I just realized I drew the "fabric" with the curve going the wrong way.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Using two different rulers for the same cutting project can sometimes make a difference. Some ruler measure from the left side of the measuring line some in the middle of the line and some from the right of the line. My Alto Quilt Cut measuring guide has to be right in the center of the grid line or it's off. I always measure one ruler to another. I was surprised at the difference between many of them.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

In quilting, 1/16" multiplied over can easily become a full inch in blocks with a LOT of pieces...

I agree, all rulers can be a hair to an 1/16" off... Pick one or stay within one brand while working on a quilt. It is probably a good bet they will all be the same measurements that way :D:D:D

I have many different brands of rulers... I will pick one to measure/use for the majority of my quilt, and if need be? I can use a longer one (different brand) butted up next to the other one, slide the shorter one away and then make my cut.
You can find ways to make them all play together nicely :D:D:D
Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Experience is such a handy thing to have -

Too bad there's only one way to acquire it.