Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Filler for pincushions?

What to make pincushions for quilting friends for Christmas. Here's the link to the directions: http://www.fatquartershop.com/Free-Q...ore_id=499&T=1 Cute, huh?

Their suggestin for filler is plastic pellets which sounds ok. Not sure if I can find these. Want it to be "weighted". Any other suggestions for filler other than kitty litter? I worry about rice or bean...bugs.

What making a little muslin like pillow (lack of a better description) about 2" and put some kids sand in it for weight. You could then tack it down inside and then fill the rest with the pellets or fabric and batting scraps.

Crushed walnut shells are popular for pincushion fillers. You can get a huge bag at the pet store for under $10.

http://tts-tutorials.blogspot.com/20...incushion.html

Just to let you know that the plastic pellets are avaialble at Jo-Anns (where I bought them)...but have since found them less expensive at a WalMart in NY.

OH, when I work with sand, I usually purchase the aquarium sand at a pet store...it is dust free and works so well for things that needed to be weighted!!!!

Forgot to mention, if you go for the Aquarium sand, you'll need a wheel barrow..a large bag of that weights a ton!!!!!!

I saw the plastic pellets at Walmart for $4.99 for a pretty big bag.

My favorite is the crushed walnut shell that is used to polish brass gun shell casings that are going to be reloaded. My brother-in-law gave me some to try and it really weights the pincushion very well. Try some!!!!!!

Banned
    years ago very very fine sawdust was used ,weighty and the pins did not rust-----the best place to get it was the local carpenter/undertaker!

White sand for birds or aquarium sand. You can also stiff it with hair( someone told me that horsehair is the best but why shouldn't you use your own hair)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast