I finished up DH's birthday quilt. I will post pics in a couple of days. I am happy with how it turned out. What I am really happy about, however, is the machine binding. I have struggled, as many of us have, with the machine binding. I was never happy with how it looked on the back. This time, I think I hit it out of the park!
Firstly, I used Charismah's tutorial on the flange binding. I followed her measurements TO THE LETTER. No deviation at all. It was really a leap of faith because I do not like using odd measurements. The strips are cut 1 5/8 and 1/38. I had to google what lines on the ruler those measurements are. *Kind of embarrassing*.
Then, once the strips were all sewn together and the flange and outer binding were joined they had one more press. I did not press the binding unit in half. I attached it to the quilt in the usual manner. I used my walking foot. When I get to my corners I stop 1/4" from the end, back stitch a couple of stitches and remove the quilt from the machine. Fold at an angle then down and keep stitching. Then to join the binding I use The Binding Tool.
Ok. I folded over the binding and used Clover Wonder clips to hold it in place. I just fold enough to have the stitching line covered. I make sure the binding is full and tight but not pulled beyond the stitching line.
For ease of understanding my flange is red and my outer binding is black and my backing is olive green. Top thread is red to match the flange, bobbin thread is black to match the binding.
I then took a pin and placed it where my needle would be when I began stitching. Remember, I'll be stitching on the flange portion close to the outer binding. Again, take the pin and put it straight down into the binding to the back of the quilt. Look at where the pin ends up on the backside. If the pin is in the black part of the binding: all good. If the pin is in the olive backing/beyond the black binding, adjust the pin (on the front side) either closer or away from the black binding. This is going to be where you stitching line will be. I used my walking foot again to stitch the binding down. I did check ever so often to make sure I was still in the correct place on the binding. Miter corners as usual and done.
I sewed at the slowest speed and just took my time. It really paid off. I hope that my description is clear. It was a hybrid of Charismah's tutorial and the faux piping binding tutorial. I really hope that others that want to perfect this method will keep trying and try out using the pin to determine where the stitching will be. It really works and is great. I was seriously so easy and nice looking that I am thinking about rebinding a couple of quilts. Previously, I would have never, ever thought about doing that as binding has been my least favorite part of quilting. My husband is on my computer with a client now so I can upload any pics now (plus his quilt is a surprise) but I will add the final result as soon as I can.
Sorry so long, but I hope this helps someone achieve this technique.