Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally packed for first machine quilting class!!! >

Finally packed for first machine quilting class!!!

Finally packed for first machine quilting class!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 AM

I am a nervous wreck.

Left work around 5 last night, went to Joannes and picked up some muslin. Starched and ironed, cut the 14" squares, then cut a few more from old cream fabric just in case. Only cut one piece wrong.

Got out the batting. Cut a whole length of leftover batting to 13" not 14". Then while I was rummaging through closet for more batting, one of the empty plastic batting bags simply flew through the air and landed on the hot side of the iron I forgot to turn off.

Ok, now to set up the machine. By now I'm really jittery!!

I went to make a bobbin of bright color thread and lost the bobbin cover plate which is clear plastic and had to turn the whole area inside out. It was hiding in the bottom drawer of the sewing desk where I keep the rats' nest of spools and bobbins, of course.

I reread the instruction list for the tenth time. in big bold letters it said :REQUIRED DARNING FOOT OR FMQ FOOT REQUIRED. So I very carefully put on the walking foot, tucked the A foot into the cute little case along with the screwdriver, and checked off that item.

I spent a lot of time trying to fit all the little stuff - snips and seam ripper, bobbins, needles, screwdriver, little rulers into the cute little case that fits under the front of the Janome.

Pleased with myself, I went to put the cover on the Janome for the first time. It is like a bell jar that doesn't go to the bottom of the plant. It kind of swings from the top of the machine when you lift the machine handle. (BRING BACK MY OLD ELNA with the steel locking cover!! ) there is no place to put the cord or the accelerator pedal.

thinking this couldn't be right, read the book. Of course the instruction manual doesn't mention 'how to put on cover'. Ran to the web. The Janome site suspiciously silent on the matter of 'hard carrying case'. DH says 'That's how it fits' I say BAH. Called my dealer and sure enough that's how it fits. She assures me it is a good fit.

So now I need some kind of bag to fit all the cords and stuff that didn't fit anywhere else - scissors pins marking tools etc. Taped the pin case shut. taped the chalk case shut. I found two big pieces of hard cardboard and sandwiched the quilt sandwiches inside them, nice and flat. Tucked in the instruction manual and taped it all up.

By now it is 8PM, I'm starving and poor dog is too, never mind DH who is strutting around telling the dog how smart he is for getting the cover on my machine GRRRR but I need a nice glass of wine before I start cooking.

This morning I wake up at 3AM reviewing my supply list mentally and it dawns on me that I put on the walking foot, not the darning foot!!

So now I'm finally all ready to pack my car with everything for tonight's class. Oh, I forgot I need a snack because the class is from 5:30-9:90 tonight. Granola bar, check!

This is worse than getting my kids off on the first day of school!! After this I better be able to FMQ my little brains out!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

:lol: :lol: talk about a comedy of errors.

remember the old saying: The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 AM

Now I am tired (rofl).
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 AM

I think I need a nap after that!! Hope class goes well!! :D
Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I'm staying tuned to the next thrilling episode of "First Machine Quilting Class"!:)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:09 AM

If you can't FMQ after your class, it won't be from not being prepared!! It might be from being too tired to keep your eyes open from all the packing! Have fun & enjoy your class and let us know how it works out for you! A pic of the end result would be nice too!!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

don't forget to stop and breathe
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 AM

Have fun in class. Take chocolate & caffeine.
Relax and enjoy. Let us know how it went and lots of good tips.
Enjoy!!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 AM

LOL..It will be fun. I didn't even know how to run a sewing machine when I took my first class. My friend had to thread the machine and tell me what to do the whole class!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I went over my check list several times the last time I took a class. I still felt like I was forgetting something important. I was fine but the person next to me forgot her bobbin case! Luckily only a half hour drive away but still....she had to hurry all day. That is my nightmare that after getting to a class, I've forgotten something major! I bought one of the cute rolling cases with the retracting handle to put my machine in. It had three other pieces that stack on the handle and is really handy. I was tired of carrying misc. bags of stuff that I was sure I'd forget somewhere.