Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finding the perfect spray bottle

Blog Entries
    I make my spray starch using an old recipe from my grandmother. I could never find a spray bottle that had a fine mist setting. All seem to spray out too heavy. I found the perfect mist sprayer that does not put drops of liquid all over the fabric. It's sprays a perfect very fine mist. :D

[IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z23/sewbug/200.jpg[/IMG]

It's a Dove Advanced Damage Therapy Heat Shield Styling Spray bottle. It's perfect. Other brands may have fine mister bottles but the
    Dove was what my DD had. It's worth to buy it for the bottle. If anyone is interested in the spray starch recipe :

Homemade Spray Starch Recipe

Cornstarch
    water

Dissolve 1\2 teaspoon up to 1 teaspoon cornstarch (depending on amount of stiffness you want, in a few tablespoons of cold water.
    Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to make 2 cups.

Shake before each use.

I usually half the recipe because I don't use up a whole batch before it goes stale smelling.

Izy
    Great tip, thank you so much, as I like the idea of making my own, how long does it keep before turning stale smelling, and do you keep it in the fridge inbetween use??

Thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    It can be kept in the fridge to stay fresh longer. I keep it in my sewing rrom and usually make a new batch every two weeks. 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch is too cheap to think about it going stale. This gives a nice crisp finish not a starchy firm. My grandmother used it for her blouses and delicate fabrics.

Izy
    No probs for me Bellaboo as I have my sewing corner in the kitchen anyways...thanks so much :D

Thanks for the tips. The cornstarch is certainly a lot cheaper than the starch in the spray can.

Thanks so much for the recipe!!! My mom used to make a gallon of the stuff at a time and kept it in the fridge. I had no idea what proportions to use :oops: :oops:

Great idea. Making my own spray starch sounds great.

I use a spray bottle I found at Wal-Mart in the garden center. I looked for a spray head that has the spring in the sprayer head. They seem to last for a very long time and you can adjust the the spray to a very fine mist. But you do have to make sure the spray head has the spring in it.

I can see my boys now- open the fridge- what's this? And spray it into their mouth. at least it's not toxic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast