Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding a quilting "style" >

Finding a quilting "style"

Finding a quilting "style"

Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM

Smile Finding a quilting "style"

I have been quilting for 2 years (sewing for much longer). I am waiting to find my own style... trying to evolve into my own style. But, it doesnt seem to be coming. I know 2 years is very short in the quilting community; but, I am still struggling with the very basics. Such as: I cant decide if I should concentrate on stab stitching where I get very small stitches (14 to the inch) but not always even and it is slow but no pain. On the other hand, the rocking stitches are smooth and even but I can only manage 5-7 stitches to the inch, get pain in my wrist and sore fingers (the ones underneath the frame).

I have also been quilting others traditional patterns. Each time I make a quilt it is different requiring new skills.

Opinions would be appreciated: do I concentrate on one stitching method (I piece by machine and quilt by hand on my frame)?; do I concentrate on one traditional style until I get "good"?

I love, love quilting and would like to get good and do away with what I now see as sloppy work. Another "but" - I am 64 and probably do not have decades left to get better.

Opinions please from other quilters.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:12 PM

I would pick a way of quilting and stick to it and get better. Have you tried a thimble on your finger? I use 2 when I hand quilt. The one holding the needle is one that has the rubber body and metal tip. The other one has a ridge around the top so that the needle doesn't slip. I prefer the rocking method of quilting, but it doesn't cause me pain. So you have to decide which one you prefer. I would also work on even, straight stitches. Don't worry about how big or small they are. They will get better with time. I don't think it will take decades to get better. Are you entering your quilts to be judged, if not, don't worry about it so much. I hope I have encouraged you. Keep at it and good luck. Gina
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM

I would do what doesn't hurt your hand. I don't quilt by hand, so my advice is only worth so much, but don't hurt yourself to quilt. Quilting should be fun, not painful. I, like you, have not been quilting long, only 3 years, and I am 65. Nice to know I am not the only one who took up quilting after sewing for years.

I will be interested in what the experienced hand quilters tell you though...

Dina
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I'm not a hand quilter, but I can't see why you would consider continuing with a method that causes you pain. Have you considered machine quilting? You can always quilt in sections (Marti Michell's book Machine Quilting in Sections is good at explaining various options) if you're worried about putting a large quilt through a small machine throat.

This isn't to discourage you from hand quilting (which I admire) but just to point out that there may be other options.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Quilting should be fun, not painful.
Amen to that.

Flowerjoy, please listen to your body. If your wrist hurts, take a break.
Chances are you might have carpal tunnel and this is not fun. I've had
surgery on both wrists. I'm careful how much rotary cutting I do in a
day (I take lots of breaks) and I avoid hand sewing as much as possible.
I don't want to have to stop quilting. So I'd rather do a little that none.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM

i f your body is telling you no[with pain] stop you have alternatives
Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 AM

Been quilting for. 6 years and sewing forever. I still keep finding new techniques and ideas or patterns to try. I don't feel I want to stick to one style yet.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 AM

Occasionally my carpal tunnel acts up and I found wearing a wrist brace keeps everything lined up correctly - that may help your wrist. As far as poking your finger underneath - put something over the finger. I've seen leather thimbles, plastic things that stick on your finger....I have found that I learn how far to put the needle thru, and i barely stick my finger once i get into a groove.

Don't worry about teeny tiny stitches - even straight stitches look just as good. If you can't eyeball straight lines - draw the line.

I hope you can find out what works so that you can enjoy the quilting process.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 AM

I may not be able to help 100%, I have been quilting for a little over a year, but sewing for ages (or is it eons at my age ) I machine quilt and piece.

For me, I have noticed that I dont really have a style. I love trying different techniques and building skills. For me the process of learning new things, applying old skills in new ways, etc. That is the fun in quilting for me. The ability to take pretty fabric and turn it into something stunning, that is the reward.

With that being said, I would say do what feels good. You are more likely to stick with something if it feels good with you. Figure out what motivates you with quilting. Do you like a particular finished look and you want to mimic that look in your own work? if so, then your best solution is perfecting a technique. Do you like learning new things and the creative process of making something completely new? then your best solution would be to keep trying different things.

I would recommend asking yourself, what do you want OUT of quilting. Then you can decide which method is best for you to get to that point. Personally, I am not inclined to perfect any particular method, I like trying all different ones. In the future I may change once I have tried everything at least once. So another piece of advice, regardless what you decide for yourself today, remember you can change it tomorrow. But above all ENJOY what you do!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 AM

Finding your quilting 'style' is much like finding your artist's 'voice'. For some people it's almost immediate, for others it takes years and years. There are no tricks other than to keep working, keep exploring different styles, and stop worrying about having to find a specific 'you'. Instead, just enjoy the journey. One day someone will look at one of your quilts and say, "That's so distinctly YOU!" And, sure enough, there it is!!