Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Finding Straight of Grain of Fabric

Here's my question. No problem in squaring up my fabric as it is bought off the bolt. Been doing that for years. Recently, just starting to get into scrap quilts (lots of leftovers). When the salvages are gone how do you square up the fabric so that your strips, squares or whatever are on grain??? Been sorting my stash and getting organized but wondering what would be the best way? Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Look at the threads in the fabric, and cut accordingly :D:D:D

or sew miniatures so small that it doesn't mater the grain :oops:

Blog Entries
    Take a pin, get hold of a thread or two that lay together and slowly pull. the fabric may get tiny gathers, work them backout, just as if you were gathering a ruffle. By the time you get all the way across the fabric, you will see where those threads came out and that is your straight grain.

Clem55 is right, once you pull it you can see the way the weave is meant in a perpendicular manner (or 90 Degree) Crossing the pulled thread. I washed daddy's old square and use it to find my way. I would imagine if he needed one God would loan him a gold one.

Blessings,
    Ruth

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Take a pin, get hold of a thread or two that lay together and slowly pull. the fabric may get tiny gathers, work them backout, just as if you were gathering a ruffle. By the time you get all the way across the fabric, you will see where those threads came out and that is your straight grain.

What a great idea for finding the grain - I'm filing that one away in the memory banks! :)

The lengthwise grain usually has less give than the crosswise, so when you find them, you can tell them apart if you need to.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    After you pull that thread, you can line up your ruler on the pulled line and rotary cut along the line. You will then have a side that will be along the straight of grain.

Sometimes you will be able to pull (gather) the thread along the whole width/length of the fabric. Sometimes it will break frequently and you will need to keep starting over.

giving a slight pull , the less the stretch is the way I go.