Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fine Line Quilting Rulers - do they work? >

Fine Line Quilting Rulers - do they work?

Fine Line Quilting Rulers - do they work?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Fine Line Quilting Rulers - do they work?

Has anyone used these? Do they really work as effortlessly on DSMs as portrayed on their website videos?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I bought the small straight one to use on my long arm. It has a strip that looks like the hook part of Velcro on the bottom. I do use it occasionally, but I find the Velcro is too far from the edge, so the fabric can slip a little and the added thickness of the strip makes it tippy. Depending on the design I'm doing, the handles work great or are in the wrong spot. I use it occasionally, but prefer a plain straight edge.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:48 PM

I have no experience with them, so I cannot help you! Someone will give you an idea soon.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 PM

I bought one. I found the Velcro wasn't in the right spot, as PaperPrincess said. I also broke the handles! Well, they came unglued from the base. After using multiple straight rulers, I really prefer the Line-Tamer. I put tiny strips of skateboard tape on my rulers, maybe 1/2 inch from each edge. Holds them secure enough but isn't as thick or grippy as the Velcro.

Pam
Old 07-23-2015, 02:56 AM

The "handles" on these rulers appear to aid longarmers, but would, IMO, be in the way when FMQ because you need both hands to guide the quilt sandwich and would lose that leverage using the handles. I've never used this brand ruler, however.

As for gripping on rulers, I use HandiQuilter's HandiGrip tape, cut to size, as it's the best product on the market, that I've tried, for gripping the quilt sandwich. You need something that grips really well, without necessitating firm pressure downward that would cause drag. Additionally, because it's semi-transparent, I can still use the lines etched into my rulers.