Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finger Press or Roller >

Finger Press or Roller

Finger Press or Roller

Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
:P Hi all, I know that it is good to get up every once in a while when you are sewing. Because I iron my seams as I go it gets to be like I am up down, up , down. I do know that some people finger press seams, that doesn't work well for me. In a tutorial I once saw (don't remember where) the person giving the instructions used a roller to press down the seams. This looked like it would work well for me. I have checked out a lot of sites and I can't find anything like the roller she had. The roller looked a lot like a very very small paint roller. Only of course it was made of harder material. I will still get up and do the regular ironing but I would like this for use until I have two or three seams that need pressing. Does anyone know what this is called and where I could find it to purchase? You all are always so helpful that I know someone out there knows what I am talking about. Look forward to seeing your replies. Thanks BrendaK
I saw my sister using one made of metal & wood. The wheel was about 1 1/2" wide, & it was so slick. She said when she baught the Curve Master , the guy gave her one. I would sure love to get one. My sister was making a quilt as you go & that really worked well.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 PM

You can also look at art supply stores as they have similar items in varying sizes.

ali
Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

I use a little wooden iron...

that is that it is called..works great!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

The reason for the roller is ,it doesn't stretch your fabric.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

roller would be best. finger pressing can stretch the fabric a bit. i have a nice wooden roller i use.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM

I have a Rowenta travel iron and a small June Tailor Cut & Press on a little table beside my sewing desk that I use for most piecing. For paper piecing, I whip out my Clover mini iron. My baby Rowenta is on it's last legs, though and I've been looking for a replacement. None seem to be as durable as it has been and they're much more expensive.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I keep my clover mini iron beside me for pressing seams while sewing, especially when paper piecing. Maybe this might work for you?
My clover is there for those small seams. I have done finger press, but my finger gets hot!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM

I have an ironing station (batting and fabric over a desk) next to my sewing machine and that's where I iron as I go. Still have my ironing board for bigger things. Don't have to get up and down as much.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
:P Hi all, I know that it is good to get up every once in a while when you are sewing. Because I iron my seams as I go it gets to be like I am up down, up , down. I do know that some people finger press seams, that doesn't work well for me. In a tutorial I once saw (don't remember where) the person giving the instructions used a roller to press down the seams. This looked like it would work well for me. I have checked out a lot of sites and I can't find anything like the roller she had. The roller looked a lot like a very very small paint roller. Only of course it was made of harder material. I will still get up and do the regular ironing but I would like this for use until I have two or three seams that need pressing. Does anyone know what this is called and where I could find it to purchase? You all are always so helpful that I know someone out there knows what I am talking about. Look forward to seeing your replies. Thanks BrendaK
Look in the wallpaper section of your local hardware store. It is wooden and called a seam roller. I use one for wallpapering, never thought of using it in my sewing room. I have a seam presser that has a sharper side to open seams. I use it for paper piecing. My rule of thumb for pressing seams at the ironing board is to sew everthing you can without crossing any seams and then press.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

I love that one! Such sharp creases! :)

Before that, I was using my thumbnails to "iron" the seam allowances, and I still use that occasionally, but it sure wears the nail down fast. ;)