Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Craft Show. NEED HELP! >

First Craft Show. NEED HELP!

First Craft Show. NEED HELP!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Default First Craft Show. NEED HELP!

Ok so at the beginning of Nov. my church is holding a craft show and I'd like to open a booth with some of my quilts and my mothers upcycling projects. I have one problem...

I have no idea what kind of price to put on a quilt. I would love to make some money on this, so I would actually like to sell something. Meaning I guess I don't want to have astronomical prices, but I don't want to sell myself short. (no pun intended) I've never sold a quilt before, I've always just given them to friends and family.

Any advice?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Add up what it costs you for all the supplies ... fabric (front, backing, binding, etc.), batting, thread, basting spray, and anything else.

How long did it take you to make the quilt? ... including shopping, cutting, piecing, quilting, binding, etc.
What is your time worth per hour?

Add them all up ...............
Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've heard that at craft shows, quilts don't usually sell because they are too expensive. Wall hangings and table runners are something that people will pay for because they are priced pretty low. I gave my SIL two small quilts and not a nibble, but my wall hanging and table runner sold right away. People said the quilts were too expensive for a craft show. JMHO and experience.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

craft shows are generally good for small items, quilted table runners, placemats, totes, potholders, ect...people don't often expect to spend as much as a quilt costs at a craft show- especially Church craft shows. if you really want to sell some items you would be better off making small items you can reasonably price and sell many of. other good sellers---aprons, walker totes, pillow cases, shopping bags, small wall hangings. ask some of the people who have participated in the past to see what seems to sell well. I've found items under $20 seem to sell the best; $5 items really sell well.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM

I hate to agree that quilts don't sell well at craft shows, but that has been my experience. I helped my sister at a booth once, and it was so disappointing to see folks admire her fine work and then say it was all too expensive. And she didn't have items priced high. For example, a tote bag was priced $15. Her quilts were priced less than it cost to make them.

It was fun being with my sister all day, but it was still a sad experience. She won't do another one.

My advice would be to have a lot of lower priced items.

Dina
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I am also sorry to have to agree with everyone else. Small, less expensive items are what most folks are looking for at a holiday craft show. Small gifts for their child's teacher, co worker etc. If you have the room, however, I would display one of your large quilts. Possibly in the back of the booth. It's eye catching and who knows, there may be that one person looking for something larger. Also have cards available and/or a book so if someone is interested in something larger you can contact them.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM

Unless you can make a quilt for under $20, it is unlikely to sell.

I think your best bet is something like the tissue package covers. Something small that costs about $5.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM

Are these quilts already made? or are you making them special for this show? If they are made already them put this in the show and price them for your cost of materials.( I think my labor is free!) What have you got to lose? But if you are making things to sell then as the others have said make small things like wallhangings or table runners. Check what others are selling their stuff for and price your stuff accordingly. Also check etsy for prices. Make/price something for " show special" and also mark items with price and then write "sale" in red with new price. We all love a deal. Also what you make/sell also depends on the type of show. In smaller shows like church shows items may not sell as well as if the show is a larger well known show. Sometimes it is worth doing 2 different shows since the stuff you do not sell at one can be used at the other. Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited by bigsister63; 08-30-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

If these are quilts that you've already made, then only you can put a price tag on them. The amount of time and money that went into them is irrelevant, since it's already spent. Just ask yourself how much money would be acceptable to you. You might have a quilt that cost $100 in supplies and 40 hours of your time, but at this point in time you would rather have $75 than keep the quilt. Price accordingly and the quilts will probably sell. If you try to break even or make a profit, they probably won't sell. Generally speaking, only other quilters are aware of the time and expense involved in making a quilt, and other quilters typically don't buy quilts - they make them! (I know there are exceptions.)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM

Did a craft show one time - I had all baby items, receiving blankets with crocheted edges, burp clothes with embroidery, etc. Not one thing sold - Won't go through all that again. I like to sew what I want when I want. Don't like to sew on demand!