Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first piece quilts >

first piece quilts

first piece quilts

Old 01-19-2008, 06:47 PM

I haven't done any piece quilts yet. I want to make my daughters a quilt. What patterns or pattern would you suggest to use being that this would be my firsts? My girls are older and not living at home. So I would like to make them something special.

Jeanette
Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Split rail and log cabins are both easy and pretty.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:21 PM

This is my first. It is a simple 4-patch and block the same size as the 4 patch
Attached Thumbnails attachment-54394.jpe  
Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 AM

I agree with Moonpi about Split Rail & Log Cabin being good choices for a first quilt. Courthouse Steps, which is a variation of Log Cabin, is also a good first quilt. These patterns are excellent because you don't have a lot of seams to match up, and they are also fun to make.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM

The one shown by dcurvey is a great one for beginners! I don't care for Log Cabin for beginners because the blocks get skewed so easily. I do like the Courthouse Steps variation because it stays straighter. The Rail Fence is a good one. Trip Around the World is nice, too, but the one pictured above is the one I often teach as "Quiltmaking 101".
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Hi. I just did my first quilt after trying to decide for 3 years. That's right, 3 years. I did a log cabin using Marty Mitchell's 'Log Cabin Ruler" There are two of them and are so very easy to use. I did an entire single quilt using 9-12 inch blocks. I pieced it, and quilted it my self on a Viking Lily 550. I finished it in two 1/2 weeks. I did it for my husbands birthday and I had no trouble with it being out of shape. I am now ready to start another one since the holidays are over.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM

I had trouble with log cabin cause it is so exacting. I found an excelent pattern in El. Burns book Quilts Through the Seasons. It is the Summer Porch Quilt that uses large squares cut in half on the diagonal then sashed with strips. It was so easy and love the design. I bet some of the experts on this site can guide you to a free pattern site that has this design for free.