Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First project >

First project

First project

Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 AM

I am brand new to quilting and ready to start my first project. What is your favorite "first project" for practice and actual project to finish so that I won't get bogged down with complicated piecing that I can't understand. I have been sewing since jr hi and buy fabric whenever I see something that I like so have a big stash. I also have collected quite a few patterns and "tools of the trade". Just don't know what to look for when choosing a pattern. This site is sooooo great. I want to make everything I see. Love all the threads and the comments. And, I bought a feather weight as a result of reading about them here. I also have 3 other machines: an old Singer from the 50's, a singer from the 70's and a treddle inherited from my MIL.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 AM

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/02/...aby-quilt.html

Try this one, I think it's easy enough for a beginner to do.
Enjoy quilting, it is a very rewarding hobby.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-6460-1.htm
This link is a good starting place. The best tool I have learned to use is the "SEARCH" feature at the top of this page. Click on SEARCH then put in what you are looking for.
Lots of photos and information. The next place I go is "GOOGLE" It is amazing what will come up. Enjoy your quest:)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Choose what looks good to you. A Log Cabin is a good start with strips at least two inches wide - better 2 1/2. Be sure to use a pattern that precuts the strips. The ones where you lay it on, sew it and then cut can become less than square too easily.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM

One of the simplest is a rail fence...no seams to match and different ways of laying it out to get different looks. you can google "rail Fence quilt" and get lots of info on it. You can make it scrappy by cutting individual pieces, or use the strip piecing method, which is simpler, and get a little more control of colors for the design. If you need addnl help, just ask.

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM

How about a nine-patch? You can learn piecing and sewing strips without sashing and cornerstones, etc.

A lot of the quilt fabric manufacturers' web sites have projects. Most of the patterns (that I've seen anyway) show the experience level appropriate to the pattern.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Beware of patterns that assume you know basic quilting techniques - they will confuse and frustrate you. Try you-tube and dozens of other sites called "introduction to quilting" before you attempt ANYTHING. I made the mistake once but keep that quilt out just to see how far I've come. lol.