Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first QAYG, any advice for a newbie? >

first QAYG, any advice for a newbie?

first QAYG, any advice for a newbie?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM

I am a relative newcomer to the quilting world. Mostly self-taught, with lots of help from these wonderful boards. I have several 9 block baby quilts under my belt, one twin celtic knot quilt (that is realy bad, but its mine and I love it anyway!), and one log cabin lap quilt. (I also have a scrappy double hourglass lap quilt WIP.) I had a monster of a time FMQ the twin on my mashine, so I am thinking about a "quilt as you go" for my next large project. I found several tutorials online, so I think I can find a method I works for me with some playing around.
My question....what patterns would work well with this method? I like more geometric patterens and I want this to be a spring/summer light weight quilt. This may be a good opportunity to do a "sampler" quilt to practice my skills. Any suggestions?

ohh, one more question.... If I do a sampler would it be better to use the same 3 or 4 fabrics in all the blocks to unite the different patters? I am afraid a scrappy sampler would become to busy. (My mother and I recieved my Grandmothers stash, which included tons of scraps that I like to use for practice")
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM

My favorite QAYG samplers are the string ones. Ditter has a tutorial. You can make the blocks smaller if your scraps are smaller. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60764-1.htm
Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

This is also my current favorite.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60764-1.htm
The actual joining method starts with the posting text: "Now you need to prepare your joining strips..."
This technique adds a 1/2" (finished) sashing between the blocks. I actually reverse the strips, putting the folded strip on the back. I usually piece some blocks and add 1/2" sashing until I get a section that's about 2 or 3 feet square. I sandwich this section and quilt. After I get all my sections quilted i join the sections with the method above.
Here's a link to my last set of quilts that I did with this method.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103513-1.htm
you can't tell on the front which sashings are just sashing and which are joining strips. I think I did these in 5 or 6 sections.
The only method I know of where you don't have a sashing used in joining the sections is the lap quilting method by Georgia Bonesteel. That's how I did my avatar. It requires some hand work.
Hope I didn't confuse you more.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM

I am presently doing a QAYG right now. Its a four patch. I will show the pic when I finish it.
This is my first one and I am relatively new at this and its going smoothly for me now and I am confident with it.

I figured a 4 patch would be simple to QAYG.

Just start doing it...I am doing mine in 15" blocks (I have several blocks in it, but the total size is 15").
Any questions, just pm me and this board is very helpful!
Good Luck