Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First quilt, absolute mess. Skewed squares. >

First quilt, absolute mess. Skewed squares.

First quilt, absolute mess. Skewed squares.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

What I would do in this situation is *not* try to match seams! I would offset each row so seams fall somewhat in the middle of the row before. This is a quilt that will be loved a lot, so I would aim for making it do-able and finish-able.

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I have not used minky yet and I may in the near future. I also heard or read you may need to stabilize the minky to make it not stretch so much. Please show us when you are done. You could applique a minky fox on the front.
I got the idea for the minky when I saw this quilt kit at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Creative-C...Brown/31956271

The backing will also be the minky fabric. Don't even bother telling me how crazy I am. I will be looking into a stabilizer to assist with the backing, though. Great idea.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
What I would do in this situation is *not* try to match seams! I would offset each row so seams fall somewhat in the middle of the row before. This is a quilt that will be loved a lot, so I would aim for making it do-able and finish-able.
That's an interesting idea. I am going to lay the columns out and offset them to see how that looks. I'll take a pic to get opinions.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Okay, all I can tell you is what I would do...and I was a seamstress for 48 years before I started quilting 4 years ago. I have never used minky fabric and I have never used a serger, though my sister has one that she loves.

If I was trying to put this quilt together, I would trim each column as well as I could. I wouldn't worry if each column was the same width as all the others. I just wouldn't. Just make each column straight on each side, with right angles at the top and bottom of each column.Then I would forget using the serger and sew the columns together with a 1/4 inch seam....(that was the hardest thing for this old seamstress to learn!!!) If the squares aren't all the same size, it won't really matter. No one will care.

I can't tell how large your squares are, maybe four inches??? I am trying to visualize this, but I think I would add two borders...a small inner one and a larger outer one....maybe an inch and a half and then five inches, or maybe four. I would use the darkest fabric as the outer border and then a lighter fabric as the inner border. I would try to use fabric in my borders that matched fabric in the squares. (Experiment laying different fabric beside your quilt to decide what you like best for the borders.)

The fox fabric is so cute. This will be a great baby quilt, even though it may not end up being exactly what you had intended. That isn't uncommon. Many of my quilts have ended up way different than I thought they would, including the one I am just finishing now.

If you can't figure out how to do something....like actually quilting it or adding borders or something, simply google it. You will find answers to any question that way....or ask this group. It is a very helpful group. Without them, I wouldn't have even been able to change the blade in my rotary cutter the first time!

Good luck. You can make this work, and if none of what I have suggested sounds like what you want to do, that is okay too. That is what is great about quilting....it is your quilt, you can do whatever you want with it.

Dina
Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Ha, more answers for you came in while I was typing. Not matching the seams is an excellent idea!!!!

Dina
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

You can do it and it will be cute! Trim your rows so the edges are straight and offset the seams rather than lining them up. Minky does tend to be a little tricky to piece but it's so soft that few can resist it.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM

I'd do the no match of the seams...think bricks in a wall.... and add sashing. Pick a totally different fabric for the sashing and use it for the last, outside border and it will all be tied together. FYI...years ago, I made a quilt similar to yours, except that I added appliqued circles of chenille fabric. The child I made it for is now 8 and loves this quilt to this day. I wish I had made it larger. She loves the feel of the chenille. Guess I'll just have to make her another one.

A comment about a serger...it is really hard, as you have found out, to keep seams at a quarter of an inch with a serger, and there is really no need to use the serger. All the seams are on the inside and, though some fabrics may ravel a bit worse than others, you are usually putting a back on it quick enough not to have too much trouble with the ravels.

We, as quilters, are our worse critics. I still want my quilts perfect, but my grandkids don't even see my errors. They just love that I made it for them. The child you are making this for won't care if it is a bit wonky or not perfect, trust me.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 PM

I was a wedding dress designer and dressmaker before I quilted, you normally match your seams and sew with a straight stitch on a 5/8 inch seam on a garment and then overlock/serge to finish off. Because a serger moves so fast and cuts at the same time, the pull of the feed dogs creates the mismatch of the two layers if not already stitched together. I would mismatch my seams deliberately and make it a 'design feature'. As you are going to back with minky and this is your first quilt, I would use the birthing method to attach the backing, which you could use your serger for. Good luck I am sure it will be soft cuddly and a much loved quilt xxx
Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 AM

I have sewned with minky a lot. I use a dab of Elmer's washable school glue to hold pieces together then sew your seam. It will not shift. Glue will wash out. You don't need a lot. I've backed many with minky also. Again I used Elmer's washable school glue to sandwich the quilt. I have no puckers on the back whatsoever. Give it a try.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

one thing about this- you say the (gift) is intended for a soon to be 1 year old.... she is going to love it whether it is wonky or not- so, don't beat yourself up too much and consider it a learning experience... a nice even straight stitch is generally what creates precise seams in a quilt- a serger is great for knit fabrics and garment sewing- but not so much when quilting. but, it will be fine. that baby is not going to care if the seams line up, she is going to love it because it is soft & cuddly and all hers- the fact that you did use the serger means it is going to be able to take lots of use/abuse- could wind up being that drag around, never leave home with out it blankie for her whole life (my youngest brother-in-law) still has 'pieces' of his favorite baby blanket tucked in a dresser drawer & he is 40-something) this could easily wind up *that blanket* ... so, continue on- learn some lessons- and know she is going to just love it-regardless of how well things line up.