Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt - Help Please! >

First Quilt - Help Please!

First Quilt - Help Please!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Each square will need to be the same size if you want it to fit. I personally would not take it apart. It's a beginner and you might wish to show it off years from now! I know I'm glad I still have my first quilt to look at and think! Wow I've come a long way.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:22 AM

Don't take it apart. Finish the quilt and use it with love and choose an easier pattern for your next quilt. Errors only go to prove that the quilt is handmade. You will improve with time.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

That looks like it might be very difficult for a beginner. But listen to these members as they are all sooo talented and can offer you great advice. Welcome to the art of quilting.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:20 AM
shy

As all have said..It probably isn't as bad as u think..and if it is ..put it down as the first one and keep it to look back on ..also many of your mistakes may not show so much when it is quilted..The quilt will look completely different after it is done..I had an aunt who never made a quilt that was matching seam wise..and it was very noticeable..But she kept making and giving..they were all loved by her kids..we who make them ..are the ones who see everything wrong..
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

It's a beautiful quilt, and new quilters can make mistakes, it's usually the small things like not using an exact 1/4" in the seams. Paper Princess has some good ideas. We don't always have to start with simple quilt patterns. My very first quilt was a king size quilt, with a pieced basket block, set on point, with sashing, as well as 4 blocks in the center where I used a feathered wreath stencil on the plain blocks. Then, for good measure, the entire king size quilt, including the feathered wreath was machine quilted on my Sears Kenmore sewing machine. Did I have mistakes, yes, but I was happy with the final quilt. Several experienced quilters in my guild were shocked that I would attempt to machine quilt that quilt. Oh, since my DH picked out the pattern, a crib size pieced basket quilt, I just figured that all I had to do was make more blocks. While that was true, looking back it's a good thing I didn't know what I didn't know, but I really learned a lot on that quilt.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 PM

The one I'm working on now has many spectacular booboos-to numerous to list here!

But I still like it. Even with all the goof ups it looks okay to me. I just finished quilting the last block. Need to buy khaki thread and start putting it together.

It looked kind of awful really until it was quilted.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 PM

There's an old saying that a quilt is just fine if you can't see the mistakes from a galloping horse. There also were (are?) quilters who deliberately put a mistake somewhere in each quilt because only God is perfect. Your quilt will be fine! Just please finish it so you can move on to your second quilt! 😃
Old 02-27-2015, 07:26 PM

I love the pattern and would like to make it someday, however it was probably not a wise choice for a first quilt. I would only unsew those seams that are really way off and try to get them to match a little better. We are our worst enemy and I bet no one will ever point out your mistakes. Finish it and enjoy it. Then when you do your next quilt, you will have something to compare it will and see how far you have come. Would love to see a picture.

Last edited by Jannie; 02-27-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:46 AM

I would go ahead and finish it the way it is. As someone else mentioned - once it is quilted and washed it will not be as easy to see what you thought was bad piecing. Quilting and washing can be two of our best friends. And as others have said - chalk it up as a learning experience. It will keep you warm.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Love that pattern, and there are a lot of ways to fix your problems, you have already gotten a lot of advice here, Take baby steps when starting out, understand you chose a challenge to start with, but go for it. You will get it and have a treasure when you are done.