Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The first quilt I made was a ...... >

The first quilt I made was a ......

The first quilt I made was a ......

Old 04-05-2007, 09:33 AM

I'm making a baby quilt for my daughter. I have 5 sisters and a sister-in-law and my Mom. We are each doing our hand. I took a tracing of their hand, appliqued it to a block and gave them each it back with fabric markers. I did mine to look like my left hand, as I am left handed and it has my wedding rings on it. I signed it Gramma (what a weird feeling!). Waiting for them to give them back so I can put it together. The blocks in between are a variation of a log cabin with the starting square 4" with a heart appliqued. I'm going to satin stitch around the hands when I get them back. I can't wait to see it when it's done.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:03 PM

....set of 3 quilt mini-minis that I made for my sister. They were posted on here. :D
Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 AM

Somehow or other, I missed this the first time around.

My first quilt was something I called a bedspread. I wanted to make something for a standard size bed, and also make window treatment to match. Boy was I ignorant. This was in 1992. And I did not start to make quilts until 2000. Someone advertised quilting supplies in the newspaper. I went to look and could not even decide what to buy.

I just looked at that bedspread, and saw that I had made square blocks with 4 triangles. (huh??) there were 3 companion colors, which I alternated in rows and put the blocks on point. Also used borders, so I must have had some idea from somewhere.

I make a reversed sandwich and turned it right side out. I stitched in the ditch along the border and some in the blocks. I must have surprised myself.

It took until 2000 when I bought a garbage bag full of fabric at the Flea Market for $5. to get me started. Then I made only 9 patch blocks. Oh my goodness, now that I think back, I had absolutely no creativeness when it came to quilting.

Since I have owned a computer (4 years) I have learned a lot. My thanks to all of you who share your work and inspiration with others.

Thinking back was fun. thanks for suggesting it.

June

Old 02-29-2008, 06:09 PM

The first quilt I made was a sunbonnet Sue. the arms and bonnets were attached so there was a lot of hand sewing. I started it when I was in college in '79 and finished it when I was pregnant in '86 and had to take the last few months off from work. I was told that a great quilt took 7 years to make so I felt good. Denise M
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

My first was a big Trip around the World in blues, extra large because my ex was a covers thief, and we heated with wood, so if the stove burned out, it cooled off quickly. I used thick, thick batting because I wanted it to be warm, and handquilted that bad boy for months.

When my Great Dane, was a puppy, we left him home with the other housepets (he was a mama's boy even then) and he circled and dug a 3" hole through the quilt, a blanket underneath, 2 sheets and stopped short of the mattress pad. Came home to find Max sleeping comfortably in his "nest".

If I'm ever in a position to get another dog, I think it would have to be a Dane again. I loved that big guy more than my ex husband.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM

The first quilt I ever made was the baby blanket quilt for my son. I took his receiving blankets and made a twin sized quilt from them. I used a sheet blanket to back it, no batting because he was always throwing off the heavy covers. years later, I made some for my niece and nephew, I used a kid print sheet to back it, using a sheet blanket instead of batting due to heavy washing I knew it would get. I used blanket binding, and had to replace my nephews three times, since he liked to rub it between his fingers and wore it out in spots. all the kids loved them, I just made my grandkids theirs. They are not fancy, but they love knowing they were their blankets. I sewed their name on a blanket at the top. :mrgreen:
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 PM

My first quilt was made out of mens old flannel shirts from the goodwill. I was too poor to buy 'whole' yards of anything, so waited until they had stuff a bag for a buck sale. Wahoo for me :) The quilt was a queen sized patchwork quilt for my husband that I backed with a sheet that I'd thrown in the bag from goodwill. Not the fanciest or the prettiest but it had lots of hugs and love in it for him. We've been married 30 years and finally threw it out 2 years ago as it was in very sad shape.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 AM

My first quilt that I finished was a wall hanging I designed for a challenge with the theme "Oh, My Stars!" It had two girls sitting on an Irish chain quilt spread out on the grass, gazing up at the stars. I embroidered a passage from James Agee's novel, A Death in the Family, in the border: "The stars are wide and alive, they seem each like a smile of great sweetness, and they seem very near....and who shall ever tell the sorrow of being on this earth, lying, on quilts, on the grass, in a summer evening, among the sounds of the night." On the back I embroidered a large star and finished the quote: " May God bless my people, my uncle, my aunt, my mother, my good father, remember them kindly in their time of trouble; and in the hour of their taking away."
My own father passed away during the making of this quilt and I did not finish it by the challenge deadline, but did finish it in time to enter it in the show under the "my first quilt" category. I took second place, out of two!
Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Norah
My first quilt I remeber so well. It was 30 yrs ago. In 1977. I made it FOR MY BABY SON AT THE TIME, WHO IS NOW 30. It was a very plain 10" block, using different colors, with alternating 10" sqs of Bible scripture, embroidered on them, by hand. It was a twin size. He carried that quilt every where he went, would not go to sleep with out it. Thus he got the pet name of Linus. He carried that thing untill it was a rag. I promise that is the truth. That quilt was loved to death by him. That was the start for me and him. I had to make quilts for him ever since. He stopped caring his blankets around at the age of 6. But I have to still to this day, keep him in quilts. The latest I made him was last year. My own design, and I appliqued moon and starts on the back side of the quilt, with a Bible scripture. I told him when I gave it to him, that he would alway be covered by the moon and stars, and the Lords word for direction. He really surprised me, He won't use it, but proudly displays it at the foot of his bed. He said it was his all time favorite. I think he likes the quilt, And then states he needs another that he can use every day.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:13 AM

My first quilt was just done about 3 months ago. It was for my dog. It was a regular block quilt. I cheated on the binding and bought the pre done stuff and I tied it. The dog didn't care. But what is funny is my hubby uses it just as much as the dog does. It turned out great, even with the few flaws.... :D