Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First quilt top complete - next step? >

First quilt top complete - next step?

First quilt top complete - next step?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 AM

Being a hand quilter - it's easy to answer this question on quilting choices. Lovely design!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by sprice View Post
How about machine stitching down each side of the zig zags and then putting a colorful embroidery thread tie in the center of each white square. Also need to stitch all around on the inside of the border. And do stitch all around the outer edge to keep in order till you put the binding on. When buying the batting, be sure to check the manufacturer's recommendation for quilting distance required for that particular batt. Lovely quilt!
Yes, about a quarter inch from the seams. Much easier that trying to stay in the ditch! Your machine should have a guide that floats over the fabric to keep your spacing consistent. You can also mark it first if you don't have the guide. I personally like the blue water soluble markers made for that purpose. Just make sure to wash it with NO soap for a whole cycle, then wash with detergent. It is beautiful!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM

You don't necessarily have to quilt it in the traditional method. I hand tied a large quilt that I needed to finish in a hurry and almost 30 years later I still love the soft feel of this quilt. Sometimes too much quilting makes the fabric stiff.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 AM

You should be very happy with that quilt top! It's very pretty and you did a lovely job on it so far! FMQ is fun and once you start, you'll have a lot of fun with it! I'm sure someone's mentioned it, but if you can't put the feed dogs down, you can tape an index card over them and lighten the pressure on the foot so you can move it wherever you want with ease. Take it slow and have fun with it whatever you choose to do!! Congratulations on your first quilt top!!