Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Quilts

Blog Entries
    Been quilting since i was seven. All except four have been hand quilted.
    well over 350 have been hand quilted.

Always do my own from start to finish, I want the whole thing done by me even if it isn't the prettiest thing around....I like to say..."I did it".

I take my king and queen size quilts to my SIL to get LAQ'd. But I get the family discount and she's my next door neighbor (but my next door neighbor is 3/4 miles away). The family discount also means my quilts don't get done until she has everyone elses done. But that's fine, I'm not usually on a time schedule for the larger quilts. The smaller quilts I do on my DM.

Modern longarm machines didn't exist until 1984...long after I started quilting.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I do all my own quilting an a domestic sewing machine. Good, bad or indifferent I like to see the project done myself from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns View Post
    I have been reading through the post and noticed that even the beginning quilters are sending their quilts out to be quilted. When I made my first quilt I did not even know that was an option. I have always handquilted my own quilts. Those of you that have been quilting for a long time, did you quilt your own quilts at the beginning (either hand or machine) or did you send them out?
    If they are mine-------------they get tacked. I like piecing---------I hate quilting.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I quilted my first few with a simple diagonal stitch across the whole quilt. On my machine. I still sometimes use that same pattern for smaller baby or lap quilts.

I first started quilting in the mid 70's. Everthing was done by hand. I hand quilted everything. I still do some piecing by hand, but send my quilts to my neice or Charisma to quilt.

When I first started, I hand-quilted. I now own two longarm machines. By machine quilting them, it allows me more time to make more quilts. Most of my personal quilts are custom-quilted, unless you just couldn't see the quilting in a busy pattern. My clientele usually don't have time or the comfort level to quilt their own.
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

my first few quilts were hand quilted by me plus I hand quilted for others; unfortunately my hands whon't let me do that any more so all my quilts get sent to the LA'r. Its quickerr and gives me more time to make more quilts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast