Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: First Quilts

First Quilts

I have been reading through the post and noticed that even the beginning quilters are sending their quilts out to be quilted. When I made my first quilt I did not even know that was an option. I have always handquilted my own quilts. Those of you that have been quilting for a long time, did you quilt your own quilts at the beginning (either hand or machine) or did you send them out?

I handquilted my quilts when I first started quilting in 1990. I still love to handquilt, but now I also enjoy FMQ on my domestic sewing machine. The money I save by quilting my own quilts goes to buying more fabric.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Banned
    I've always quilted my own by hand or machine.

Blog Entries
    I sent my first one out and hand-quilted the next few ones. I love to hand-quilt, but it takes me so long.

I had tops for the longest. Then machine quilted them

I hand stitched and hand quilted my first few quilts. When I made the first one I didn't even own a sewing machine then. I still hand quilt some.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

I quilted my own quilt -- but it was a school home ec project in 1980 or 1981. I've only been involved with 5 quilts that have been sent out to be quilted -- only one of them was my personal project. The other 4 were group projects. I'm working with a young lady now (she's 12) and originally planned to quilt her first top for her. I got a lot of push back from my husband and other quilters, so she's doing the quilting -- but she's not really enjoying it. I just hope it doesn't backfire. She'll finish the quilt this weekend and I'm going to put the binding on for her -- unless she says she wants to (which I doubt she will). When it's finished, she's giving the quilt to her cousin for her 1st birthday. Ooh -- reminds me I need to get the label made...

I do all my own quilting.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have not sent one out yet. The first ones were quilted on a machine with a 4 inch throat. Just keep cramming! I've upgraded to a nine inch throat and do it all myself. Quilting is an expensive hobby and added a LAQ to every quilt is more than I care to spend. Maybe if I do a GREAT quilt one day I'll have it professionally done.

i quilted my own way back when- then didn't quilt for a number of years= when i started again the first large (king sized) quilt i made i sent out- and it cost me so much i figured i had better either learn to do that myself- or not ever make another one-so set out to learn to machine quilt, saved my pennies & purchased a long-arm...i do still on occassion quilt with the domestic machine too- small projects- up to twins & if i want to do intricate quilting i do it on my sewing machine. i am working on a queen sized whole cloth with my domestic machine. now i don't have to send them out- people send theirs out to me
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast