Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Retreat - question

First Retreat - question

I'm going to attend my first week-end quilting retreat and I have a dilemma! Which sewing machine should I take? I have a BabyLock Symphony that I love, and it's big, does everything.!! I have a Brother CS 600i, small and only a few pounds that I use for classes.
    I love sewing on my Symphony, and I don't know if I can put up with cutting all the threads on the Brother. (Symphony has automatic thread cutter.)

What kind of machine do you take to retreats??

If I was going for a whole weekend, I would take my better machine, even though it weighs a ton. For my quilt group and classes, I usually just take my little Pfaff. Have a great time!!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I would also take my better sewing machine since I would be using it for two or three days straight as compared to an hour or two for a class or quilt group.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I would take my better machine because you may need some of its functions during the weekend. Have a great time! I have been on two retreats with friends so far and look forward to more!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

I agree its a long weekend, take your symphony, its heavier but your weekend is all about enjoyment
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Blog Entries
    I would take my more expensive machine . Once set up will stay for length of quilt weekend. From personel accident make sure the machine can't fall over and well protected the sewing machine trolley still needs this protection. Recently I had my expensive machine in one of these trolleys and had to do an emergency stop .. The handle of machine went under the top of machine. Luckily a lawn mower repair place opposite where I was looked and repaired it for me.
    Most of all enjoy. The weekend and have a go.
    Finished is better than a UFO

What are you taking to work on, if it only piecing, take the lighter smaller machine otherwise take your other machine. You want to enjoy the week-end, not say nasty things to your machine.LOL

I go to a couple each year. I almost never take a big machine with me. But it really depends on what type of project you will be working on. If it's piecing, I just take my Gem. Last year I was working on something that I wanted a nice button hole on it so I took my Janome 6600.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

I took my Baby Lock Ellegante on my first (and only so far) quilt retreat. It was no problem, since it is up for three days, it isn't like I had to put it away each night.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I would say it depends on what you will be working on at the retreat. When I was on UFO retreats I took my little Janome Gem Gold. On others when there was a specific project that would use features not on my Gem Gold I took my Bernina. Have a rolling case no matter what!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast