Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time Applique >

First time Applique

First time Applique

Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I would definitely stitch around the dragonflies so that they stand out. Your quilt is beautiful.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 PM

If you are not wanting your stitches to show, you could use a monopoly thread to sew down the edges of the applique--its comes in both a smoke color for darker colors and clear for light but both are basically invisible.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM

beautiful quilt love the dragon flies. In UK I have noticed the type of applique finishes ,ie hand, satin stitch or blanket seams, to depend where they live. Around me they use blanket stitch but if I travel 80 miles to Nottingham there it is satin stitch.
i use either depending on the day. I do love needle turn hand stitching and at present I'm doing sticking shapes done then putting embroidery stitches over the top with an invisible zigzag between.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 AM

Definitely do a test applique. I only recently did my first applique in a class and some of us chose to do blanket stitch (same as buttonhole I think?) and others did satin stitch. None of the people who did satin stitch were happy with the results. It is a very heavy stitch and has to be used carefully.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 AM

I do raw edge applique and use the blanket stitch and do it by hand. Don't use steam-a-seam-2 on it any more. I use a product called frey check (or something like that) and it remains soft and pliable. So far none of my appliques have come off of the quilts and they're washed regularly.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I do Tons of machine applique, it's definitely my favorite technique. Your watercolor quilt came out great! 
I'm one of those who NEVER satin stitches my appliques. I HATE that thick, stiff, hard type of stitching that ( in my eyes) takes away from beautiful applique. I use a small blanket stitch or zigzag that is near invisible. I wish I knew how to link pictures from previous posts to show you the spring bouquet quilt I sent my aunt last Christmas so you could see my stitches, but I've not figured out how to do that.
Maybe you can see the applique stitching on the ocean bargello
I agree with you about the satin stitching. I like a soft stitching, but not where it ends up hard. I thought I must be weird or something. lol....That runner is so pretty, but I even liked it before the applique. The fabric is so pretty.