Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first time with fleece....help pls >

first time with fleece....help pls

first time with fleece....help pls

Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM

Default first time with fleece....help pls

I need to finish up a quilt for my DGS. I chose fleece for the backing rather than using batting, but I find myself stalling because I've never sewed stretchy fabric or any kind of knit before. I was in a rush the day I purchased it, and never read the label or even really looked at it. I don't even know which side is right and which is wrong. Also, I don't have a walking foot. Do I wash the fleece first? Which side is "right"? How do I handle the stretch? I don't have extra money to spend to get another backing or batting. Do I NEED a walking foot or is there a way to make do without? Any help or advice is appreciated.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 PM

If you don't have a walking foot it will be difficult since the fleece is thick. Have you thought about tying it? I always wash my fleece first before using so if there's a problem with it I can correct it.

If you do decide to quilt it, if you have basting spray it will help keep the fleece from shifting.

I posted a tutorial about hemming a quilt with mitered corners that are flat, not thick. It's over in the tutorial section.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

how are you going to baste the layers together? I would suggest spray basting. 505 is a good one. it will hold your fabric in place while you quilt and it washes out. Good luck. be sure to pre-wash.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:58 PM

Check out shannonfabrics.com for tips and tutorials. They call their fabric cuddle. Good stuff there. I just finished a class in it. Walking foot is necessary and when using 2 layers they need to be placed in opposite directions. I.e. one layer has stretch going one way and other layer has stretch going other direction. After cutting, throw pieces in the dryer to remove cuddle dust. 505 works great too

Last edited by snipforfun; 08-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 PM

I love working with fleece! I use Elmer's glue to baste and then quilt away...then wash the glue out. It holds everything in place. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:22 PM

For ordinary fleece (I don't know anything about cuddle or micro-fleece) when you stretch the fleece horizontally, which is the stretchy direction, it will make a natural curl toward the back side of the fleece.

You might consider machine tacking rather than regular quilting or tying.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 PM

I've done FMQ on 3 quilts using fleece and haven't had any problems, I do spray baste my quilts before quilting.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the responses. This fleece stretches in both directions, but more so horizontally. I will prewash and spray baste. I am going to have to cut and piece (the fabric is not as wide as my quilt top) the fleece. What can I do to stabilize the fleece in order to cut a straight line, or will holding it down with a ruler be enough?