Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time quilting and there's a problem >

First time quilting and there's a problem

First time quilting and there's a problem

Old 11-06-2016, 02:02 AM

I had the same problem with little tucks and pleats until I lowered the pressure on the presser foot. Most machines have the ability to do this. If yours does, give it a try. And all the previous advice is good too. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:24 AM

Now I see where I went wrong. I did pin baste, about 4-5 inches apart. I didn't starch. But the real problem, I think, was stretching. Some of the places where blocks came together were hard to sew through (the stitches there are so tiny) and I had to pull the quilt through or hold the fabric flat from the sides (that isn't clear but I don't know how else to describe it).

So I guess I will take out the line of stitches that had the problem. I wonder if I can avoid taking out all of the stitches in the whole quilt, as I couldn't believe how difficult it was to take them out (Are there any good techniques for taking stitches out?). Then spray with starch (without ironing?) . Then start again from the center, maybe using Dina's method of making boxes? Also, I didn't know about the foot pressure. The machine has a knob to change it but I didn't know what it was for, or, how you know it is the right setting.

What stit
Old 11-06-2016, 04:32 AM

What was your stitch length? I usually do straight stitching at 3mm. That isn't terribly hard to pick out. If you pull out all your stitches, I'd re-do with that stitch length. If you did some at 2mm & switch to 3mm for the rest, it will be very noticeable. As for pressing with the quilt sandwiched, I think that will be much more difficult than pressing a single layer of fabric but you can give it a try as long as your batting is 100% wool, 100% cotton, or some combination of those two. If it is polyester, poly blend, silk blend or has bamboo/rayon, I'm not sure you'll get your iron hot enough to really get the fabric pressed well. You can give it a try, but if your fabric doesn't end up stiff like a piece of paper, you may end up with the same problem all over again (meaning twice as much to pick out).
Old 11-06-2016, 05:25 AM

Unless your machine has a dual feed feature like a Pfaff or Bernina, invest in a walking foot. It makes all the difference in the world! And get out your sewing machine manual. It will have info and tips as well, especially about tension issues.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lorli View Post
Now I see where I went wrong. I did pin baste, about 4-5 inches apart. I didn't starch. But the real problem, I think, was stretching. Some of the places where blocks came together were hard to sew through (the stitches there are so tiny) and I had to pull the quilt through or hold the fabric flat from the sides (that isn't clear but I don't know how else to describe it).

So I guess I will take out the line of stitches that had the problem. I wonder if I can avoid taking out all of the stitches in the whole quilt, as I couldn't believe how difficult it was to take them out (Are there any good techniques for taking stitches out?). Then spray with starch (without ironing?) . Then start again from the center, maybe using Dina's method of making boxes? Also, I didn't know about the foot pressure. The machine has a knob to change it but I didn't know what it was for, or, how you know it is the right setting.

What stit
after spraying with starch you Have to iron! The process of starching/ pressing is what gives you nice stiff, stable fabric. Starched fabric, a walking foot, starting in the center and working on a few practice pieces are good beginnings.
One way that might help with the ( unsewing) is to fold the backing away from the batting and work on the inside line of stitches.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:15 AM

I forgot to mention that it is very possible you are being too hard on yourself. After the quilt is washed, any small puckering won't show at all...as it will all pucker just a bit. I have to admit also that I use a larger stitch than most folks do....usually a 4.0. I think my machine's stitches are just a bit smaller than they are supposed to be, and the 4.0 is very pleasing to me. (The quilt police should not be around if you do that....)

In hindsight, I am not even sure I would take out all of that last stitch you did. Look at it with fresh eyes today. It might not be as bad as you think. You might have taken enough out to make it work.

Dina
Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 AM

I've had the same thing happen on numerous quilts. I'm convinced it's related to fabric stretching, which happens even with the highest quality fabric. I don't take the time to 'unsew' the seams, and have found that once the quilt is washed, those tucks are much less noticeable.
Unless you're entering the quilt in a show, don't sweat it. Just enjoy the quilt, tucks & all! Good luck!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:27 AM

In the places where the seam allowances were thick (where I tugged on the quilt) the stitches got really small, they looked like the 0.1 that I used at the beginnings and ends of the sewing. I am so worried that I am making holes or wearing out the fabric, I'm using a pin to pick out the threads. It might be easier in daylight, though.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Make sure that the backing is not pulled tight as a drum when layering it.

Have the backing smooth - but the same "tightness" as the top layer.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM

The suggestions about a walking foot are good. But even with the even feed foot on my
Pffaf, I still had problems until I lowered the pressure on the presser foot. Default is about 6 and
i go down to 4.