Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fiskars changing their Rotating Cutting Mat >

Fiskars changing their Rotating Cutting Mat

Fiskars changing their Rotating Cutting Mat

Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Default Fiskars changing their Rotating Cutting Mat

Just a heads up -- if you have the yellow rotating cutting mat made by Fiskars and you like it -- you might want to go ahead and grab another one if you see it. They're apparently replacing that one with a new style in gray. I tried one of the new ones in the 8"x8" size and found it difficult to turn. Upon closer inspection I found that the rotating mechanism is different from that used on the yellow ones. I was lucky -- Joann had one of the yellow ones on their shelf -- along with two gray ones.

CAUTION: Don't order from joann.com thinking you'll get the yellow one. They're still showing yellow but are shipping out the new gray ones. That's how I came to be aware of all this.

So sad. The gray ones are unusable to me, and I won't buy one in the future. Love my Fiskars yellow one.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:23 PM

Be forewarned about the gray one, the self healing mat chips. I have had one since Christmas a present to myself and it has little "divots" in the mat. I noticed them when I noticed a build up of something on my rotary blade which is also fiskars.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 AM

I don't know why folks have to mess with stuff, if it not broke don't fix it, dang!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 AM

Contact the company and let them know and let them know that you are letting others know how bad the product is. Sometimes they will rethink and go back to what works.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 AM

I am not sure about Fiskarsncutting mats but did read on this board that there is no longer Ginger scissors as Fiskars bought them out and now being made in China maybe this is what happened to the mats would explain why they don't work anymore really read labels
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
I am not sure about Fiskarsncutting mats but did read on this board that there is no longer Ginger scissors as Fiskars bought them out and now being made in China maybe this is what happened to the mats would explain why they don't work anymore really read labels
Just checked -- both styles are made in Taiwan.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
Contact the company and let them know and let them know that you are letting others know how bad the product is. Sometimes they will rethink and go back to what works.
I intend to do that.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Be forewarned about the gray one, the self healing mat chips. I have had one since Christmas a present to myself and it has little "divots" in the mat. I noticed them when I noticed a build up of something on my rotary blade which is also fiskars.
I just contacted Fiskars Customer Service. I noticed that they do have a warranty, so you might try contacting them. Here's the website:

http://www2.fiskars.com/
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 PM

I had a yellow one and it warped. It was kept out of the sun and on a flat surface. I do live in Florida and we don't use the air until after most people do but I figured if it wasn't too hot for me it wouldn't be for my cutting mat. Have an Olfa one that is used under the same conditions with no problem. I would never buy a Fiskar mat again.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I like my yellow one.