Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Flammable fabrics...

Recently I was shopping at Joann for quilting fabrics for a bed quilt. I read the end of the cardboard for fabric content, width, price and "Made in USA" etc. I noticed quite a few fabrics said "flammable" which made me wonder if they are safe for a bed quilt. Any else have this problem? :?

hmmmmmmm, that's odd. I would suspect the "flammable" part might be polyester. I'm not sure what I would do.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    They're cotton. It's flammable. I'd wager what it really means is, "this fabric hasn't been chemically treated with fire retardant," which is exactly what I'd prefer, personally -- less chemicals.

Jan in VA

I think any fabric is flammable if exposed to fire or a flame.Some might be worse than others tho, like polyester.

Blog Entries
    It just means it hasn't been treated with fire-retardent chemicals, which means it is deemed unsuitable for sale in order to make children's sleepwear out of it. It is fine for everything else.